Skip to content
News Archives - January 2007
- BHG Tournament Finalists!
- Posted on 1/30/2007 at 10:06 PM by Alex
- The BHG $100,000 tournament is coming to an end. The top finalists, Ice, KhuFu_OwNz, N00Biee, IamDaut, AsTheRuinsFall, Grunt, Adjeking, DakiMagro, will be flown to Baltimore, Maryland to finish up the competition. More information on the current tournament standings can be found here.
Congrats to the eight finalists!
- A History of Real Time Strategy
- Posted on 1/29/2007 at 11:00 PM by Alex
- Our sister site, Game Replays, appears to have been working very hard on a history of real time strategy article. The article is well-written and very interesting, check it out here.
The History of Real Time Strategy was conceived as a project designed to narrate the history of the RTS genre and catalogue the major RTS games that have been released over the years. However, since the RTS genre has become so huge and expansive, it was impossible for one person to write down everything that needed to be written. Not even those who have been with the RTS genre from the very beginning have enough experience with the genre to fully describe it from birth to the present day (although there have been some attempts).It doesn't look like it mentions Rise of Legends, but it does talk about Rise of Nations on part 4.1.
To solve this, various members of GameReplays volunteered their experience and wrote about different games in the history of the RTS genre. As a result, each of the articles in this feature has its own unique style and perspective. However, this does not mean that this project is just a random collection of unrelated articles. I hope that as you read and learn about the RTS games of the past, you will see the connections between them and how they relate to one another.
Great job to the staff writers at Game Replays. The article was a very nice read.
- Gaming Nexus reviews RoL
- Posted on 1/27/2007 at 4:12 PM by Alex
- Rise of Legends was recently reviewed by Gaming Nexus. In this review, Rise of Legends received a review of 8/10.
The factions and their environments are gorgeous. The Vinci look fantasy Renaissance-y, with factory-like buildings and units of brown with spinning gears and belching smoke. The Alin live in the desert and have soaring, multi-spired buildings and units of fire and glass and electric blue. The Cuotl have megalithic buildings and megalithic units that have red highlights to stand out against their green jungle home. Watching these guys battle is a visual treat.To read the whole review, go here.
Faction playing styles are as different as their looks. The Vinci are the most balanced of the bunch. They have a few of everything � a few air units, a few land units, a few big units, a few small units. Vinci cities are a treat to build. Their Research Lab building can be upgraded into a variety of special buildings. It�s always fun to get yourself a Doom Cannon and start blasting stuff. You�ll start out as the Vinci in the single-player campaign.
To check out additional reviews, go here.
- Poll Roundup
- Posted on 1/26/2007 at 2:17 PM by Alex
- The previous poll, Which is your favorite aspect of RoL?, has just been taken off the main page. The poll received 78 votes and the top aspect, with 40 votes, was RoL's theme.
A new poll has been set up about a possible RoL expansion. Take a look and vote here!
- Gallery Updates
- Posted on 1/15/2007 at 12:59 PM by Evolved
- We've had some new uploads of the gallery.
First there's Storm Legion's entry for the $100 Screenshot Competition, and he's also uploaded a behind the scenes look at his competiton entry. Both are in the Creations Album.
We've also got 2 very impressive drawings in the Fan Art Album. We're unsure who is the author, as we couldn't find an author's name on either. The First is a Prototype Armed Vinci Scout, and the second a design for a Pirata Marauder craft.
On another note, the voting for Zeke's Corner's (the Community Forum's) Banner has begun in this thread. Thanks to all the people who contributed their banners.
- Deadlines approaching!
- Posted on 1/10/2007 at 11:57 PM by Alex
- Just a heads up, our forum banner contest and screenshot design contest are drawing to an end. The banner contest ends on January 14. After that, public voting will be open. The screenshot contest ends on January 30.
So, check both of those out and you also might be interested in the great prizes. HG T-shirts for the banner contest and $100 USD (thanks to BHG) for the screenshot contest. Hope to see you participate!
- Poll: What is your favorite aspect of Rise of Legends?
- Posted on 1/6/2007 at 6:39 PM by Alex
- Check out the new poll when you have a chance and vote for your favorite aspect of RoL. The current choices are Campaign, Multiplayer, Theme, Scenario Editor, and theMusic.