Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » To PCDania
Bottom
Topic Subject:To PCDania
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-20-13 11:49 AM EDT (US)         
Hey there, been awhile. Just wanted to let you know I just uploaded a new mod that enables CTW Heroes and Units, I know last time it needed approval and you got it done for me, so just wanted to give you a heads up.

Otter
AuthorReplies:
PCDania
Zekeling
(id: PCD)
posted 10-20-13 05:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
Hi motter28218

I'll see what I can do

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
PCDania
Zekeling
posted 10-21-13 02:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
Your file has been approved and should be available for download.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-21-13 09:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
PCDania
Zekeling
posted 10-21-13 11:04 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
No problem. The man to thank is the guy who approved your file.

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-24-13 07:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
Hey Motter,

Nice to see you again! I had tried sending you an email but got return errors - maybe you closed it. Not sure where the best place here would be to post an email address. If you want to stay in touch we could always exchange emails via PCDania whom I've emailed before. Hope things are going ok
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-26-13 10:52 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
Hey What's Up. Yeah I got rid of my E-mail, was getting to much spam, I don't have one for now, haven't missed it much so far, for now I guess we can just talk here, would breath some life into these forums.

Any new news on tracking down the game designers? I'm doing the best I can on my own but it would be a world of help if they could release a modpack that would extract all of the .xml files as well as the graphics files. Anyhow, good to hear from you, nice to see others still interested in this game.
thejango40
Zekeling
posted 10-26-13 01:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
Do you plan on making this new mod compatible with the ol' good expansion pack?
alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-27-13 01:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
Motter - Yeah it's good to take a break sometimes. Plus besides spam now it's hard to tell what kind of email is safe due to the surveillance and what not. I've read some people make their own domain for email and/or use email clients so it seems there's more options but it's still not ideal.

I've tried to get in touch with some of the people who worked on the games and will post anything here if it comes up.

And here's some quick links to related threads:
Brief summary of BHG history and future news - they are working on a new game
Project Resurrection for RON - some mention of ROL in there
0 AD - ancient rts game with open source & modding - this game may be a modder's paradise
Rise of Legends related and similar fantasy type videogames - check out Paraworld, Worldshift, Divinity Dragon Commander and Total Annhilation Kingdoms as they are all similar to Rol in setting and feel. The full TAK game can be found here or here.

Jango - Motter said "For now this mod doesn't work perfectly with the CTW campaign, you can still play it but some of the upgrades will work differently, I plan to provide compatibility but that will be much more work." in the download area here.

Maybe there are some forums/communities out there would be able to help out or give input on what could be done to easier mod Rol? We need people with the technical know how right...

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 11-03-2013 @ 11:14 PM).]

PCDania
Zekeling
posted 10-27-13 03:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
Irritating with the surveillance, makes one a bit unsure about what the next thing is as it is easy for the governments to end out on a slide... and those ending there tend to go faster and faster until they slow down or stop for one reason or another. At least as long as there is nothing criminal in the mails there is nothing to be afraid of. Some really bad guys has been caught because of the surveillance. Well, I don't know where the balance point is, just hoping it doesn't get more Orwellian but starts going the other way.

Yes, I'm keeping an eye on you all

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-27-13 06:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
Ha ha, yeah well, I was going to say the real reason why I got rid of my E-mail was the surveillance thing, but didn't want to look paranoid, nice to see I'm not the only one. I was getting a lot of spam as well tho so wasn't a complete lie

Thanks Alin for the sites, I have always wondered if there are more games out there like ROL, Starcraft was one I liked, haven't bought part 2 yet since it's still over $40 but I really liked the first one.

If you find anyone that wants to help modding that would be great, I go off and on, it just gets frustrating after awhile, so many things I want to do but this game was so rushed and it shows. Still wish they had come back and finished the Katan, but I know without the game making money they had no choice. Shame really.
alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-27-13 07:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
Yeah I don't think it's being too paranoid.

I haven't picked up Starcraft II yet because of the prices and it's been fun checking out older and less popular games. I'm just gonna wait for the complete collection by the time they come out with the other expansions

I'm hoping we'll eventually be able to get some kind of more solid info on modding Rol. I was checking out some great Let's Play Rise of Legends vids on youtube here and thought if somebody made an explanation vid and/or playthrough with Motter's mods then there might be more interest generated in the game, forum, and mods? Also making a video tutorial for what limited modding is already possible. I might be able to help out with that somehow, but somebody would have to be comfortable doing that. Or we could message any of the people who already did a let's play vid and ask them...

And one of the cool things I read another fan discovering while playing around with modding the game here, is that of making buildings float. I haven't tried it yet but wonder if it could be used to mod some existing buildings...

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-27-2013 @ 07:14 PM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-31-13 09:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
I thought of making a "how-to" modding video, but I don't currently have any video editing software and have never made one before, I suppose it's not hard to learn, just never have done it.

I did the floating buildings once, I was going to see about making the Dark Alin buildings float, but it didn't end up looking how I pictured it, but maybe I give it another try, that was right around the time I got burnt out so didn't do to many experiments with it.
thejango40
Zekeling
posted 11-03-13 05:15 AM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
Where can you buy hybrid clockworkmen and the other units? Can't find them.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-03-13 10:31 AM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
Hybrid Clockwork Men are either at the City or the Fane, I forget what I finally decided on. As for the others I'd have to know which units you mean, depends on what CIV you are playing with.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 11-03-2013 @ 10:32 AM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 11-03-13 11:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
I tried the CTW Hereos mod and it's fun to be able to get any of the campaign heroes and heroines in a skirmish, thanks Motter!

As well as the little additions here and there - I found the hybird clockworkmen in the Cuotl city.

Finding video editing software should be the easy part, now there's a lot of 'free' and open source video editors you can download - but which one is best depends on what you want to do and the ease of use.

One thing I did notice in my directory is that I didn't have a Rules folder - weird, and the game ran fine. After putting in your mod I was able to use the heroes in skirmish mode, I test-ran all 3 civs against computer players which still seem to pick the official heros and not any additional ones - the comp ais only pick 1 hero total and 1 hero again after it dies.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-04-13 08:42 AM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
Yeah, the AI is set to only pick 3 heroes max, generally it relies mostly on the 1st hero, then the 2nd, and only once in a blue moon will it pick the 3rd.

I have modded the scripts to pick all the heroes on my own game but with that many on the board at once it slowed the game down so I didn't include the modded script files as I'm sure most people would not want to play it that way.

If your system is better (mine was top of the line 3yrs ago) it might not slow down but I decided to stay on the safe side.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 11-04-2013 @ 08:43 AM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 11-04-13 02:56 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
I've played the game on a few comps and even on a good one during an 8 player game there is some brief stuttering probably due to many units. But yeah it would be cool to have the "full version" of the mod that you made for those who care to try it on a good pc.

I'd try it out if you ever put it up for download, probably with a short note for people so they know that it might affect performance.

I'll also have some thoughts on your main expansion mod soon when I get the time - is it ok to post here? Not sure if getting into it deep will be spoiling it for others...

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 11-05-2013 @ 06:55 PM).]

thejango40
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 08:38 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
Do you remember if you made the scavenger clockwormen available? I Like the idea of very cheap, quickly produced units that swarm the enemy.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 08:47 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Yes and no, check Distruzio. They are made at the Clockwork Scrapyard which is a neutral site, I didn't enable it, I could tho, I am working on some other requests today so if you want me to add this option let me know.
thejango40
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 09:18 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
Yep, I tried adding that building myself a few years ago, but of course simply adding it through scenario editor didn't work. I want them (And the rest of scavenger units if possible) because they can provide some interesting gameplay. They're cheap, quickly produced but weak and you would need different tactics to win.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 10:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
I will enable the scrapyard for the Vinci, look to the download page tomorrow, I will have this along with some other requests included as an optional install. You will just need to download the mod again and follow the readme.
thejango40
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 10:30 AM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
Great, thanks!
alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 11-06-13 08:28 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
Some more discussion going on here and here. Just a question (not necessarily a request), but if you remember how RON had so many options for setting up a skirmish game such as resource rates, age setting, etc - it seems ROL doesn't have as many options.

I wonder if being able to add options for choosing existing resource rates is doable or is that too difficult/not possible? And instead of ages in the game we have city sizes, so you could start a game in "Great City" mode or "Nomad" mode without a city and any phase in between.

As I posted in the other thread I'm playing both of Motter's mods and have some notes and lists I can post here if anyone is interested.

We could also start a separate thread that would be reference-only, such as lists of units, spells, buildings in the original game versus mods. And another separate thread collecting mod/expansion ideas and discussing how viable they are since Motter's doing it alone.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 11-06-2013 @ 08:33 PM).]

Devilloc
Zekeling
posted 11-06-13 10:20 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
@Otter: Adding a buildable Clockwork Scrapyard is a pretty cool idea (along with the Fallen Home, like someone else requested), I don't think I've ever come across a scrapyard on any map before. Glad to see you're actually giving people what they ask for.

@alincarpetman: Would appreciate it if you could post those lists of yours.
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-07-13 08:11 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
The update is available for those who wanted it, just download the file again and follow the instructions in the "Extras" folder.

To Alincarpetman: Yes you can adjust those things, if you know your way around a bit just go into the "tribes" folder located in the "Data" folder, you will see the .xml files for each nation, open whatever nation you'd like to edit, in there you will see listings for the various types of maps or battles as well as the list of starting units/resources/buildings, just edit those entries to whatever you like.

Really good to see people talking on these boards, just bought the game for my brother, so I'm still out there trying to recruit new fans, I still have to believe there is a huge base of people out there who would love this game but just never heard of it, everytime I play this game and listen to that incredible music, the amazing detail in all the graphics, I just can't believe it's not more popular.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 11-07-2013 @ 08:12 AM).]

thejango40
Zekeling
posted 11-07-13 08:19 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
Heh, I am going to advertise this game a bit on the forums I'm active on. We might get some new players

Oh, and also, can you make the scavenger units have the same production/health/cost/attack as the Distruzzio's units in the campaign, right now they're just as powerful as normal units but a small bit cheaper.

[This message has been edited by thejango40 (edited 11-07-2013 @ 08:25 AM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 11-07-13 09:02 AM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
They are now adjusted to the CTW stats, just download the file again and paste the "unitrules" file in the "extras" folder over the current one. Only exception is the Scavenger Boss, he was just waaaaay to cheap, he was only like 100 wealth, so I made him cheaper than the Land Leviathan but 100w would be to unbalanced.

Just FYI tho even in the CTW in the mapfiles themselves they often give bonuses to the units depending on the difficulty, so some of these units you faced in the campaign would have been more powerful than their default stats.

I will be at work the rest of the day but anymore request just leave them here I will get to them probably tomorrow if I can. Thanks for playing.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 11-07-2013 @ 09:07 AM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 11-07-13 06:38 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Motter - good to know I can try to edit the files that way, but I meant in the actual interface. In Ron you have pull-down menus where you can select maps, ages, resources, etc. And in the game the units have more formations. In Rol the skirmish interface doesn't have as many options to set up a game and there are no flanking formations and what not. How to put that in the game I guess would be more difficult. But yeah at least we can do some things manually which is better than nothing.

About publicizing the game - I think one idea about more people getting into the game is if we updated the info and downloads area of this website. We could collect, re-edit and post up info about the game as it's difficult to find any complete guide. I've collected a ton of ROL content but still have to do anything with the website idea I had posted a while back here - I figured there was no interest.

If anyone is up for it we could put together a "team" and work on stuff - seems like Motter is best at modding, I can organize info and there were some people who wanted to learn scenario and graphics for units, etc. We could write up some guides and put up threads for stuff like ideas for mods/exp/etc and discuss which ones are more feasible than others.

I'll post up the info lists I have in a few days when I get some time, though they are just text and link lists. To make a better complete visual guide we might have to start from scratch and make it good with pictures of the units/buildings/etc with complete stats as no complete accurate illustrated guide seems to exist. For now anyone can check out these old unit guides already made:

Grunt's unit guides:
Main Link
Vinci
Alin
Cuotl

If you do a search for "unit", "guide", etc in the subforums here more threads will turn up.

A lot of very detailed guides and pdfs at the Gamereplays ROL forum here.

You can also read how to access the pdf manuals for the game here, they are located on the cd/dvd of the game if you don't have the original printed manuals.

I'm currently finishing up the Cuotl campaign with Motter's expansion and will write about it soon - it's been fun so far

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 11-08-2013 @ 01:04 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames