You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Some questions about unit editing.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Some questions about unit editing.
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 09-30-17 05:44 AM EDT (US)         
How I can change unit attack speed?
"RECHARGE" string in not usable, in unit rules i read that "Obsolete. All units fire with a recharge rate of 30. Change combat strength to change damage per second."
So ANY changes of this string is useless.
It is possible to solve my problem by editing the gamecode, creating a passive ability or modifier and how?

Also, how to create a new formation for squad?
I found the formations in rules.xml, and it's a bit like BFME games, but more simple - just edit the number of rows from 3 to any number what you want and put the number of units in it for any number of squad members you need, and duplicate it for all states of the squad - from one member in squad to maximum count that you want.

For example:

<GRUNT name="a">
<FIGURES>
<ROW0>1</ROW0>
<ROW1>0</ROW1>
<ROW2>0</ROW2>
<ROWn+1>0</ROWn+1>
</FIGURES>
<FIGURES>
<ROW0>1</ROW0>
<ROW1>1</ROW1>
<ROW2>0</ROW2>
<ROWn+1>0</ROWn+1>
</FIGURES>
<FIGURES>
<ROW0>n+1</ROW0>
<ROW1>n+1</ROW1>
<ROW2>n+1</ROW2>
<ROWn+1>n+1</ROWn+1>
</FIGURES>
</GRUNT>

But i don't know how can I add new formation - I try just copy\paste original one and rename it to "GRUNT name="c" ", but game crashing with error.

P.S.
Sorry for any mistakes in the message, I don't know English well.

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 09-30-2017 @ 05:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-02-17 01:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
Go to unitrules.xml Mod the entries:

MOVES
ACCEL
FAST

NOTE: Making them too fast can cause game crashes.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 10-02-2017 @ 01:44 PM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-02-17 04:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
Thanks for the help Motter

Modder00 and rthym also posted some modding questions in this forum which I don't know much about...

I put together a bug list for your 4 mods here, if there are any more you can post there. The bug list will eventually be used for the User Patch.

Also made a Modding Problems, Solutions & Workarounds thread, if you have any additions feel free to add.
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-03-17 12:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
Thanks for answer, but as far as I can see this strings it's only for moves\animations speed.
But I need change time between unit attacks (and attack animations of course).

Also, units with small numbers (between 1-30) in FAST sring have some troubles with animations, so in my mod i set 60+ for most of infantry units and 120+ for cavalry.

And I have another question: how I can create a custom passive spell (like vinci infantry formations) and first of all - how effects work (passive bonuses like resistance to splash damage) and where I can found full list of effects?

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-03-2017 @ 12:44 PM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-03-17 02:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
Changing those entries will change their attack speed, not sure how fast you are looking to make them attack but like I say going too high won't work.

You can create any new spell by copying another spell and giving it it's own unique Typename, then mod the stats to what you want, but you will need to get very familiar with the spell flags and what they do, also grafting from another spell using the "spellgraft" field is helpful, it will be a lot of trial and error.

If you are asking about making new spells that do things beyond what you already see in the game, this is not possible, at least not without changing the game code itself and adding new graphics and animations.
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-04-17 00:08 AM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
Hmmm...
I tested the units several times, making changes to the FAST, ACCELERATION and MOVES strings, but did not notice any difference, even visual, in how often they attacked.
Two steam guns, one with FAST 5 and MOVES 10 and the other one with FAST 500 and MOVES 200 are recharged the same time.
Animations fully coincide up to the time, even time of the appearance of the projectile.
What I do wrong?

Also, about effects: in craftrules.xml I try to change the DATA strings in Loose Order Ability of the Vinci grenadiers/fusiliers and... again nothing happend, even when I change string <DATA3>30% incoming ranged damage reduction</DATA3> to 100%
What function those strings has and how do I add to the ability the effect of reducing the damage of a certain type (I'm just trying to expand the armor system in the game).

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-04-2017 @ 11:54 AM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-04-17 03:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
It's been awhile since I've modded so I'm just going by memory but I know there is a <SHIELD> field, for most all players it is set at "0", but you can increase it.

The only unit I ever saw have it was the CTW Campaign version Ix, the Moon God, and you can only find him in the CTW files.

Or do you mean a spell that temporarily gives shields? The Cuotl have this spell, you can look at that and copy it then mod the stats.

Just make sure you give it a unique "Typename", that is very important.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 10-08-2017 @ 02:34 PM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-04-17 07:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22       
...and where I can found full list of effects?
I worked on a list of spells etc here, but haven't finished adding more details yet.

A list of effects and much more game info is something I'd like to copy n paste from the game data directly into this website so players can have the info quickly at hand instead of searching through many game folders and files.

I am slowly updating this website and if you have any suggestions for what you want to see or how it can be displayed, let me know.
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-05-17 11:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
Are do you mean a spell that temporarily gives shields?
No, I mean passive ability, which reduces some kinds of damage
Workers of all three races have it, but 50% resistance is too much, and there is no ranged and melee resistance - only burn, splash and poison.
Also, Vinci infantry formations gave units resistance to the ranged damage, but I was confronted with the fact that it seems like I can not change the percentage of damage that will be deducted when ability is on.
I did not find anything special in the ability flags, so there is a possibility that some of the abilities are spelled out somewhere else (but in rules.xml I found nothing)
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-08-17 08:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
I got the impression that craftrules.xml is not responsible for the effects of abilities, and when you edit this file, you have almost no power over what effects will work when activating abilities.
It is intended primarily to facilitate changes, but rather to values ​of value/additional corrective effects (in particular, those that arise during ability casting) and the interface, and not for the effects themselves.
It seems that each ability in craftrules.xml is assigned a specific block of effects, perhaps located somewhere else.
I have some assumptions, but for this I need to somehow open files of the format .xml.bxml
If I'm not completely stupid, then I just need to change file format to the .xml, but I have no idea what program is needed for this.

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-08-2017 @ 09:18 AM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-08-17 05:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
I got the impression that craftrules.xml is not responsible for the effects of abilities, and when you edit this file, you have almost no power over what effects will work when activating abilities.
It is intended primarily to facilitate changes, but rather to values ​of value/additional corrective effects (in particular, those that arise during ability casting) and the interface, and not for the effects themselves.
It seems that each ability in craftrules.xml is assigned a specific block of effects, perhaps located somewhere else.
Thanks for the insight - we are all still learning things about this game as there were never any detailed modding guides made by BHG or players.
You can read some modding guides in this pack here, but it will be up to new modders to expand on these basics and write more detailed guides.
I have some assumptions, but for this I need to somehow open files of the format .xml.bxml
If I'm not completely stupid, then I just need to change file format to the .xml, but I have no idea what program is needed for this.
The xml.bxml files are extracted after using ROL BIG Archiver.
These contain compressed XML files and it is unknown if these are really needed to mod the game.
I will take a look at the files soon when I have time and get back on this.

If the BXML files are needed for modding then we may have to get another script written by a programmer to extract these BXML files.
For now try renaming the files by changing the file names (change ".xml.bxml" to ".xml") and test opening them in various programs both with and without the changed names.

You can find a list of programs to use for modding here.
For XML files try using XML Copy Editor, Hex Workshop, Notepad, Wordpad, Notepad++, and any Windows text program.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-10-2017 @ 11:42 PM).]

Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-09-17 02:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
The xml.bxml files are extracted after using ROL BIG Archiver.
Already did it, now i work with unit textures with my unskilful hands and got some results.
I have planned small changes in most infantry units.
I don't pretend to masterful work, just make changes to my taste, based on my perception of the factions (to be honest, I find that the colors of some units are a bit monotonous both in and among themselves, and I think that they have too much teamcolor).
If the bxml files are needed for modding then we may have to get another script written by a programmer to extract these bxml files.
For now try renaming the files by changing the file names (change ".xml.bxml" to ".xml") and test opening them in various programs both with and without the changed names.
Already try open both with and without changed names in Notepad++,and only without changed names in PSPad and HexEdit, and got no result.
In all cases it is impossible to read.
But in PSPad some words can be readed, but they have a point after each letter in word (look like that: "S.u.m.m.o.n.") and there are only few readable words.
I'll check other options, but beyond that I'm a bit busy editing textures and some code changes.

UPD.
Also I'm thinking about changing the weapon system, instead of armor system.
So far, the addition of a new type of armor is impossible, but weapons parameters can be edited.
At this point, as you know, they are divided into 2 main types: weapons, the damage of which depends on the size of the target, and weapons, the damage from which depends on the type of armor.
However, in rules.xml, for both types of weapons, both types of damage are provided, so I think that I can make each type of weapon a bit more... individual.
So I would like to know if it's worth doing this, and if so, should I discuss it here or in some other topic?

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-10-2017 @ 08:43 AM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-10-17 11:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
I looked into the BXML - don't worry about it as you probably don't need to edit it.

BXML = Binary XML (XML = EXtensible Markup Language) and can be partially viewed using text programs.

We were told by a game programmer: BXML is binary XML and is for faster parsing.
The game supports falling back on regular XML if BXML isn't there so even if you converted it you can maybe make do without converting it back, but there will be a loading speed cost.

Ryder said: ...certain BIG files have XMLs with the same exact names in there with the only difference being that one of them is BXML, and the other is standard XML.
If I didnít allow the program to create these files, then those files would overwrite each other on export when using the ROL BIG Archiver.

So the BXML contains some (or all?) of the XML files already there and is compressed and used for faster parsing, and you may not really need it for modding.

I searched for and found the effects XML files you need, download this pack here again and use the "Rise of Legends - Extracted BIG Files Contents List" file to search for "effects" and locate the effects XML you need, then extract it from that BIG for editing. There are multiple effects XMLs.

The problem we have now is that it takes a long time to extract each BIG file with the ROL BIG Archiver program if you want to extract all of them.
I extracted all the BIGs manually myself and it took a few hours of work and I got 2 GBs of data.
Then I exported the directory contents as a text file using Karen's Print Directory for the "Extracted BIG Files Contents List" file to make it easier to search for files.
I will ask Ryder if we can speed up the extraction process.
So I would like to know if it's worth doing this, and if so, should I discuss it here or in some other topic?
It's up to you how much time you want to spend on a project, and this is your thread so you can keep posting here since you are still editing units, their armor and weapons. It's nice to see more people modding the game

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-10-2017 @ 11:44 PM).]

Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-12-17 10:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
So ... Where do I start?
I'll start from bad: I still can't understand how the effects work and where they are, even though it has revised all the files in which they could be.
A very interesting point is that some spells, such as HEROSPELL, are partly in rules.xml and maybe editable.
This confirms my theory that at least some effects are absent in craftrules.xml, which can't but rejoice.
However, I have no idea how they are related and how they interact with each other.
I did't understand the script language well, although I looked through the associated .xml. In many respects my fault is "meh" skill of coding and difficulties with English (ah, that feel of shame and embarrassment when you know a foreign language well enough to only understand the memes and the approximate meaning of what you read or hear).
I would be very glad to help from someone who understands this more than me, or has a connection with someone from the developers (eh, dreams).

But, I also have some good news which relate to projectiles and game textures: I managed to find files that are responsible for linking textures and projectiles to models, which makes me very happy, because if my guesses are correct, then I will not edit the models themselves.
I'll try to copy and rename the existing model and attach its changed and renamed texture to it, I hope that the experiment will be successful.

UPD.
Strange, very strange things.
I can say that I figured out how the texture is attached to the unit (more precisely, the set of textures combined into "material") and, at the same time, I absolutely can't attach them!
I try to change attached matherial an try changing matherial (this things is in two different files - unit_graphics.xml and unit_matherials.xml.
First is for model parameters - FX, Projectiles, used texture blocks; second one - for texture blocks content).
Maybe I need to pack the changed files back into the archive... aaand it's time for another question from me: what program I need for creating .bxml?

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-12-2017 @ 11:23 PM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-12-17 06:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
In the Extracted BIG Files Contents List I found:

\effects\art\effects\ = folder of effects art

gamespecialeffects.xml = some effects

gamespecialeffects.xml.bxml = ?

We don't have a program for BXML yet, I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on that and will update here.

I can also email Motter for you with your questions since I don't know the answers for these details.
Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-12-17 11:09 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22       
Yes, at first I also thought that the files I needed were in gamespecialeffects.xml.
But the problem is that I did not find anything there that could be a bit like what I'm looking for - this file contents fx and icon iformation for some spells.
To some extent that's why I have to ask for help - I could just not notice something or misinterpret it, and a fresh look here will be extremely useful.

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-12-2017 @ 11:18 PM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-14-17 03:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22       

In the Extracted BIG Files Contents List I found:

\effects\art\effects\ = folder of effects art

gamespecialeffects.xml = some effects

gamespecialeffects.xml.bxml = ?

We don't have a program for BXML yet, I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on that and will update here.

I can also email Motter for you with your questions since I don't know the answers for these details.
I remember you had sent me a pack of .xml files and they were all readable with notepad and contained a ton of info on the graphics and other game mechanics that weren't extracted with the modpack.

I had started to toy around with it but unfortunately it was the same time I had just finished combining my two mods and I was worn out. I will try to find them or did you put them in one of your downloads?

Let me know, thanks.

Also, to Zess1664 thanks for working on this. Always good to have more input.

[This message has been edited by motter28218 (edited 10-14-2017 @ 03:18 PM).]

alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-14-17 03:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22       
@ Zess - What are you looking for specifically? Changing armor and weapons right? Can you be more specific? I may be able to find the xml...

@ Motter - Our main problem is determining if modders need to mod the BXML files besides the XML files.
I hope not because that would make things more complicated and maybe need another extract/repack utility. But I'm asking around to find out for sure.

So regarding the BXML, maybe you know if you need to mod this file as you have modded this game the most it seems.
Your first 3 mods from 2010-2013 were without BXML, after the ROL BIG Archiver was released in 2016, did you use it for the latest Combined mod?

I emailed Ryder and an ex-BHG employee I was briefly in touch with a while ago, as he just went quiet and never got back to me about some stuff like this.

I've been looking through the extracted BIG files, BXML, etc and I get overwhelmed with this game as it looks like a mess to me when trying to figure out what to do.
We still need more detailed modding guides as I see a lot of unique files which people can mod.

In regards to the BXML files, you can actually extract them yourself if you use the ROL BIG Archiver and pick a random BIG to unpack, most of them contain some BXML besides the XMLs.
The BXMLs are partially readable in some text/XML programs as well as in Hex.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-14-2017 @ 03:46 PM).]

Zess1664
Zekeling
posted 10-15-17 11:24 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22       
@ Zess - What are you looking for specifically? Changing armor and weapons right? Can you be more specific? I may be able to find the xml...
Well, I'm looking for a way to add new weapons/armor/size flags, since I already know how to edit those flags that already exist (this only applies to setting the interaction of the main flags of weapons with bronze flags and size).

The problem that I now face is that I do not know how the arms flags interact with each other: there are only four basic flags of damage - two are responsible for interaction with the armor flags, and two are with size flags.
At the same time, in rules.xml there are lines corresponding to the damage from flags with which they do not interact: for example, for a weapon flag that interacts with the armor flags damage is 100% - 75% - 50%, and for the interaction with size flags damage is 100 % 100% 100%

If I use two weapons' flags, and one flag reduces damage depending on the armor, and another - depending on the size of the target, what will eventually happend?
They will have different damage, based on both criteries specified in the flags, or both criteries will not work and all the targets will take full damage?

Depending on the answer to this question, we have two options - in one case of four flags of two types, we get 8 types of damage, and in the other - only 4.

In the first case, it makes no sense to significantly change the parameters of the flags, otherwise the number of types of weapons will be halved.
In the second - the strong changes will bring more variety, but if there is no possibility to add new weapons flags, this is still negligible.

[This message has been edited by Zess1664 (edited 10-16-2017 @ 00:25 AM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-15-17 04:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
I can extract the .bxml files but they open up to gibberish. You had sent me .xml files like graphics.xml etc. I had only done one "experiment" real quick trying to change the graphics of a unit, I modded it then imported it with BIG Archiver but it didn't work.

But like I say that was only one quick experiment, almost nothing ever works the 1st try - can't ever be that easy haha. I think for sure I could have figured it out but like I say I just wasn't in the mood.

Likely I might have to convert the file to .bxml and import them both, that would be my next test. I don't know how you converted those .bxml to .xml tho, I always just get .bxml.
alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-15-17 06:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
@ Zess - I understand it better now, thanks.
There is a lot about modding this game waiting to be discovered and documented...
I myself don't know if there is a "possibility to add new weapons flags" but it is worth a try to see what we can or can't mod.
Eventually I want to make a list of things people want or tried to mod but couldn't do so we can at least get an idea of the limitations and possibilities of this game.

@ Motter - The BXML was extracted from the BIGS using ROL BIG ARchiver, but I don't have a way currently to convert BXML to XML for this game.
Ryder has made similar utilities for BXML files in other games, I'm waiting to hear back from him. I'd like to find out first if we really need a BXML<>XML utility as it will cost money to have made.

Apparently the BXML already contains the XML inside it so the game can read the XMLs faster, so if modding XMLs does work without touching the BXML,
the game will just be slower because it is reading the modded XML files and not BXML. But currently it seems we don't know this for sure and need to experiment more.

@ everyone reading this - In general it sounds like we need more people testing these files, experimenting with modding, etc.
I've done about as much as I can with promoting ROL on many websites so we can just wait for more people to show up here I guess.
I have been in touch via email with more modders but they are on break.

If you use social media and other forums, websites, etc maybe we can all spread links to this forum to generate more activity.
I'll be updating this website and forum over time so that will also create better SEO and draw people here looking for specific info. If you have any suggestions for improvements you can post here.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-15-2017 @ 06:58 PM).]

motter28218
Zekeling
posted 10-16-17 04:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
I understand all of that, but you did send me a pack of .xml files, they were not .bxml I think I have them somewhere, just haven't looked real hard yet.

The bxml cannot be read or edited as it is compressed so it will need to be converted.
alincarpetman
Afreet
posted 10-26-17 09:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
Hey Motter check your email I sent 2 messages about this, for the second one I got an error saying "Address not found" it was to: motter25420 (at) aol (dot) com

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 10-26-2017 @ 09:58 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames