You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Tech Support
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.132 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Tech Support » This Game Crashes Constantly......
Bottom
Topic Subject:This Game Crashes Constantly......
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
edsyl
Zekeling
posted 05-21-06 11:26 AM EDT (US)         
Well, I have been fighting with this for three days now.
WHat I have tried:
1.Updated and installed /reinstalled Audigy 2Z drivers
2. Run hard disk diagnostics (Scanrite, great tool BTW)
3. Run system file checker sfc /scannow
4. Updated my ATI 9800 drivers to latest Catalyst, then rolled them back again
5. Played with all the performance settings
6.Run complete NOD32 scan-negative
7.Run complete Webroot scan-negative
8.PerfectDisk defrag

None of this helps, this game crashes no matter what I do, and then goes off to the error reporting where it is shipping off a large amount of data to someone.
This really IS pissing me off!
Why is there NO dedicated support forum for this product?
The MS Games site is frackin' USELESS!

Questions:
I am not the only one it seems, I am still sane.
What does the setting useVLLTUNE actually do?

My personal.ini is here:
[DEFAULT]
ProfilesDirectoryOverride=
Windowed Width=1152
Windowed Height=864
FullScreen=1
FX_SCHEME=4
CurrentProfileFile=daddykool.profile
AllowAllResolutions=0
VSync=0
select_device=0
choose_device(-1rompt)=-1
SCRIPT_DEBUG=0
EnableSounds=1
MusicManagerVersion=4
MusicSecondsBetweenTracks=120
MusicSecondsBetweenTracksVariance=60
MusicSecondsBetweenTracksCampaign=5
MusicSecondsBetweenTracksVarianceCampaign=15
MusicMaxPhraseDeferredSeconds=5
MusicPhraseSpacingSeconds=10
MuteWithoutFocus=1
UseVinceCollection=OFF
SkipIntroVideos=1
SpaceSkipsToMainVideo=1
EverSeenIntroVideos=1
CTWPromptForSkip=0
DisplayLoadStatusString=0
RestrictMouse=1
ClickDragTiming=5
ClickDragLowSensitive=20
ClickDragHighSensitive=64
ClickDragRightLowSensitive=60
ClickDragRightHighSensitive=120
ESCKeyGoesToMenu=1
PauseFlash=1
ConciseChatSmall=0
ConciseChat=1
ConciseChatSolo=0
ConciseChatCampaign=0
ConciseChatNumShown=10
ConciseChatNoBackground=0
StartReveal=0
StartPaused=0
minimap_static_camera(ON,OFF)=OFF
minimap_fov(STATIC,DYNAMIC)=STATIC
minimap_fov_fill_options(SOLID,LINE,ALPHA)=LINE
CTWScrollStep=200
CTWZoomStep=100000
CTWRotateStep=100
CTWScrollPeriod=35
EnableThreadedLogging2=0
automation_level(NONE, PROMPT, AUTO)=PROMPT
UseFileManifest(0, 1)=1
NonShipLogDir=
UseVTUNEDLL=1
start_profiling_active_version2=0
CACHE_ENABLED=0
BreakIntoPatcher=0
FakePatching=0

Does ANYONE have any ideas here?
My intuition is the audio drivers although it idid not help by rolling them back.
Next hunch would be a huge memory leak issue.

Look forward to hearing more from all of you.
Regards
Ed

AuthorReplies:
SpringHeeledJack
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 06:53 AM EDT (US)     101 / 132       
i have a crash that occurs everytime i play the game anywhere between 15 and 30 mins into the game, simply one second its playing normally and the next i am at desktop without so much as a slowdown or a noise, my computers specs are in excess of the requirements and when it is running it runs well, it just seems to only live for half an hour...

...someone needs to think of a fix for this before i go quite insane

thanks

Grapeshot
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 09:45 AM EDT (US)     102 / 132       
With a name like that, the last thing you need to go is insane!! I'm staying off the streets from now on!
mushpuppy
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 09:48 AM EDT (US)     103 / 132       
I tried the no-cd crack thing with high hopes, but nope--I still get the same system freeze when the first campaign loads. I tried turning off audio in personal.ini, too, but no change.

I have an Audigy 2Z too--I wonder if that's the conflict somehow.

Xi_Slave
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 09:52 AM EDT (US)     104 / 132       
I experienced that crash twice, my comp automatically reboots... (1x quick battle, 1x multiplayer)

Also strange thing, in Singleplayer i had problems with slowdowns who looks to be related with the sound.
But in multiplayer i dont have any slowdowns, in fact multiplayer seems to work better than singleplayer.

I got an AMD athlon comp (SLI) with an EN 6600 GT TDH videocard (ASUS).

personally i think its an software error which makes the motherboard reset out of safety reasons. Damn Athlon junk.

[This message has been edited by Xi_Slave (edited 06-10-2006 @ 09:55 AM).]

eros77186
Zekeling
posted 06-21-06 11:30 AM EDT (US)     105 / 132       
I had enough of this game which doesn't work.
I just desintall it for now, and don't know when i'll install it again.
We don't even know if someone in BHG care about our problem and, in every review i read, none of them talk about crash.
What is it happening ?

Edit:
Fxxxx !Fxxxx !
I really have enough of this Fxxxing game !
Just reinstall it and it doesn't work either.
No more BHG for me, or at 10$, no more !

[This message has been edited by eros77186 (edited 06-21-2006 @ 06:02 PM).]

Lobsang
Zekeling
posted 06-23-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     106 / 132       
I was about to throw the game out the window.
I'd rolled back my nvidia drivbers, tried disabling sound hardware acceleration mkaing sure not a single non critical process was running at the same time as the game.

But after the umpteenth reboot (Thank god I learned the alt-s save shortcut), I tried reducing the HT multiplier in the bios from 5x to 1x. (I cant remember what other game didn't like that setting either)

So far I haven't had another crash after that change, but its too early to say if it has fixed it completely.

So if you've been thumping your head with random reboots, give it a try.

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN
Zekeling
posted 06-24-06 05:40 PM EDT (US)     107 / 132       
Is it me or is the European batch of RoL games a bit more buggy? First the frenchies (Greystick et al) and then me...constant crashes that seem directly linked to the code as opposed to outdated drivers etc etc...

BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN, last of the Azrac warriors.
Henara
Zekeling
posted 07-04-06 06:18 AM EDT (US)     108 / 132       
hm, no answer from BHG concerning that crash issue...! thats really poor!

my brother has the same problem with the game. he gets kicked out without any reason after between 10 and 40 mins!
another friend of us who wants to play the demo before getting the game, has the same problem!

We expect an early answer or a fix from BHG!
Don`t you see it happens to a lot of guys???

tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 07-04-06 01:18 PM EDT (US)     109 / 132       
the only time that ive crashed is when i used the scenario editor and tried to test it. and ive also had lag when there were some fights. could be sound maybe ill see if i can turn the sound off cause i usally listen to tv.

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
Xi_Slave
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 01:42 PM EDT (US)     110 / 132       
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315192/en-us

Maybe this link helps. It's about microsoft games which make ur computer restarts. Or about getting a stop messsage. (Still restarts at my computer)

Ok i was checking my failure report and found this.

De volgende opstartstuurprogramma's zijn niet geladen: BTKRNL

I will try to translate that:

The Following rebootcontrolprograms are not loaded: BTKRNL.

I seriously have no idea what that means...

[This message has been edited by Xi_Slave (edited 07-06-2006 @ 08:46 PM).]

Telecowboy
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 12:03 PM EDT (US)     111 / 132       
edsyl and all others having this issue: I seem to be having the same problem with ROL. The game simply crashes to desktop, offers me the stock MS "report error" dialogue, and sends me on my way. I can find little rhyme or reason to it. I assumed at first that it was a soundcard issue, what with most of us seeming to all be using the Audigy 2Z chipset. But I now believe that is only part of the issue. After much tinkering and scouting all available forums I have managed a solution that allowed me to play not one but TWO whole hours of ROL (can you believe my wife hasn't left me) without a single crash. I set the slider for graphics quality all the way over to "runs faster", I turned the situational music setting to "0", and I actually turned the background music off entirely.

I will tentatively say this has worked for me.

To those of you shouting that our systems are entirely at fault because of inadequate hardware specs or non-stock overclocking I offer the following:

Intel P4 3.2ghz with HT, 800mhz FSB
2GB DDR400, Kingston, running at Dual Channel
ATI Radeon X850 Pro
Creative Audigy 2ZS
200GB SATA 7200 WD HD x2
WinXP Pro, SP 2

I have built into this thing more fans, heatsinks, cooling blocks, air channels, and ducts than God. I've heard main-line battle tanks that throw off fewer decibels. Overheating is not an issue.

Other than the upgraded fans and heatsinks, heatspreaders, etc. on the CPU, northbridge, southbridge, GPU, Soundcard, and RAM everything is stock. Nothing is overclocked.

I can run Oblivion at the highest graphics settings with little to no drop in framerate. This is not an issue of hardware unable to run the game. The fact that I apparently need to dump the settings down to nothing simply isn't right. No other game in my arsenal requires me to do so simply to get through a single battle.

MS and BHG have made what could be a very fun and potentially addictive game - if only it can keep from crashing every couple minutes. I congratulate them for this potential. Obviously we want to like and enjoy this game very much, else we wouldn't be banging our heads into the wall trying to get it to work. However, they really need to address the problem, fix it as we know they can, and give us the truly great game Rise of Legends could be.

*steps down from soapbox*

alphaproject
Zekeling
posted 07-13-06 03:14 AM EDT (US)     112 / 132       
Do I smell a class action lawsuit?
verkinix
Zekeling
posted 07-13-06 03:10 PM EDT (US)     113 / 132       
Hey all,

I havent posted anything in a while, mostly because of being busy, so I thought I'd try and help on this thread as I have on other threads.

I too have crashing issues with RoL from time to time. It's actually gotten better since the restrictions on the CPU were lifted. That may be for a couple of different reasons. Anyway, I havent played much MP because of the GS system, but I have been enjoying the RoL campaign as well as playing Oblivion so that I dont grow bored of either.

Now, to the point of helpful solutions. I built my machine several years ago and have upgraded the majority of parts since. The problems with upgrading parts didnt start to manifest themselves until the later gen games started to come out. They actually started about 3 months after I upgraded my graphics card and about a month after WoW released its first official patch (long time again, I know). I started having BSODs and random restarts. I though, OK, this is odd, maybe its the patch. later patches came about and the problem got worse. No other games had problems at this point. I dropped WoW eventually and played SWG. That game was plagued with bugs so I couldnt gauge if it was my machine or not. Skipping ahead a little bit, Oblivion came out. Ran fine for a week, then without warning, started having major issues. I researched much into how to opimize it with max settings and low and behold, crashes greatly reduced, but the ever present BSOD was still there along with crashes to desktop and restarts. I did many things with oblivion to opimize it further, but ultimately to no significant avail. Ok, so then comes along RoL which runs alright on psuedo max settings due to the cpu limits, but it too is plagued with system instability. After searching scores of forum threads, I come to the conclusion that my power might be insufficient. It never occured to me that upgrading parts in the machine, they may need more power! So I get a new PSU as well as an AVR. Low and behold, success. Not a single BSOD since, however, I have had a couple restarts and send error reports for Oblivion and RoL. I have attributed the restarts to heat and moisture. This time of year (even being as dry as it has been in the US) is hot and there is more moisture in the air then most computers will tolerate. So, I have my PC in the cool basement with case open and a house fan on it. I have the dehumidifier going in the background. I still get crashes with Oblivion and RoL, but usually only after several hours of playing which then leads me to believe there are some memory leaks to blame. And with system hog games like Oblivion and RoL, its tough to keep the memory clean.

To recap, all in all, I think most peoples current problems are with heat, moisture and/or insufficient power or unstable power. The RoL engine isnt perfect and I do think the audigy sound cards and drivers are playing a role in many crashes now a days. All we can do is try and make the best of it with the resources we have available. The internet is full of helpful information on how to opimize ones machine and how to determine what may be causing the problems. Again, I'm not saying the engine is flawless, but the engine is only as stable as the hardware it's running on unless its poorly coded which, from what I've seen, its not.

I do hope this post helps someone. I know others love games as much as myself and I know how it feels to be "stuck" without knowing where to look next. Good Luck and Happy Gaming!

jer2eydevil88
Zekeling
posted 07-15-06 02:56 PM EDT (US)     114 / 132       
I have spent the past few weeks doing other things with my life. Yesterday I go to try this seemingly fun game again but first I let it update to the newest build.

I start the game, I basically have the first map down to memorization from playing it so damn much so I finish it quickly.

To make a long story short, the game still locks up my computer, the sound still plays, the game is just stuck. I don't know if I will keep it installed or if I will just ebay it.

Regardless I expected more from BHG and Microsoft. I still play Age of Empires 2 and Rise of Nations all the time. So you are alienating a big fan of the genre.

Most importantly I need to note that this PC is 100% stable, no heat, moisture or other environmental issues are causing this. My machine is overclocked and that may be part of the problem but as I said before I can run CS:S all day for weeks without so much as minimizing it and there is no problem.

As for power suppply issues, its an OCZ 700watt SLI supply for my SLI 7900GTX cards.

[This message has been edited by jer2eydevil88 (edited 07-15-2006 @ 02:58 PM).]

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 07-15-06 08:33 PM EDT (US)     115 / 132       
Sorry to hear that Jer. Wish I had some more ideas you could try. I have alot of things that I would try, but they are tough to explain in writing without writing a textbook. As for me, I did have RoL crash on the 3P map in a quickgame against 2 hard AIs. I was able to pin point the crash to being caused by the large unit physics. I turned it off and now it works great. I'm not sure why it all of a sudden had a hickup, but it was a simple fix. This isnt to say it would fix yours, but just thought I'd sympathize a little.

Well, on the bright side of things, there are alot of really good RTS's out there that work on any machine. I think, with games getting more and more complex and resource intensive, companies are going to have to pool together and make software that works better with the hardware. As hardware gets more complex, the drivers become worse and worse due to the "corporate" factor. I, myself, am running nvidia drivers from September 05 because the newer ones screw up my system.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Hope you have better luck in the future. RoL is a great game, but even a great game is overshadowed by failure.

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 07-18-06 03:02 PM EDT (US)     116 / 132       
Just a friendly reminder - the overwhelming majority of problems experienced with RoL can be relegated to one of several potential issues, most with very easy resolutions.

The first thing you want to do is make absolutely sure that you have the latest video and sound card drivers. The sound card drivers are just as important as the video card drivers are.

Next, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX.

Thirdly, if you keep encountering problems after this, try uninstalling the game completely and totally through the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs AND by manually deleting any residual folders or user folders in My Documents/My Games. This will help ensure a valid and uncorrupted installation. If you can, try to install to the default directory when prompted in the setup.

If none of this works, try disabling Hardware Audio using the steps outlined here.

If you still find that you can't run the game after trying all of this, contact me directly at jpishgar@bighugegames.com and include a detailed description of the problem and error message along with a dxdiag.txt.

Thorney
Zekeling
posted 07-19-06 09:05 PM EDT (US)     117 / 132       

Quoted from GreyPawn:

AND by manually deleting any residual folders or user folders in My Documents/My Games

And respectfully, the 400 folders and 692 files or so located in .\Documents and Settings\(current user)\Application Data\Microsoft\Rise Of Legends

Uninstall doesn't remove these either.

windeath
Zekeling
posted 07-20-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     118 / 132       
Hi

This game has only recently been released in Australia so I've only been playing (or trying to) it for 3 or 4 days.

My setup is very similar to most others described so nothing out of the ordinary. I do have a dual core AMD64 sitting on a Gigabyte MB, a Gigabyte 6600GT and an Audigy ZX sound card.

When the game does crash it usually completely reboots my system or I get a blue screen telling me that this type of error can usually be fixed by altering BIOS settings.

I'm not a software programmer but I am a consumer and this type of issue with games in particular is really annoying. It was $99.00 AUD so I expect to get my monies worth. Yet again I feel jaded by greed over quality.

chibi dw
Zekeling
posted 07-22-06 03:07 AM EDT (US)     119 / 132       
I also have something of a problem with crashing. not the same, but somewhat similar. about 5-10 minutes into a scenario, the display gets distorted(lots of cumulative artifacting) and camera/interface speed slows down significantly, and eventually the whole thing just collapses in on itself and it closes with a generic windows program error.

I use an AMD Athlon64 3400+, with a GeForge FX 5900(128mb), and a Turtle Beach Catalina sound card with winxp and 1Gb memory.

Updated directx to that odd 9.0c version mentioned earlier in the thread, updated my video card drivers, updated my sound card drivers, updated with the newest via chipset drivers, tweaked with agp fast write, absolutely cannot get this game to function properly.

i've had no problem with oblivion, homm5, world of warcraft, republic commando, civilization 4, and other such newer games, except for titan quest, which has the same problem.

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-22-06 09:00 AM EDT (US)     120 / 132       
Can I just check you have turned you graphics settings down?
chibi dw
Zekeling
posted 07-22-06 02:34 PM EDT (US)     121 / 132       
for me it does it regardless of graphics settings. and it seems to happen sooner on games i've saved while it has happened once already(i have a few seconds when it starts to save the game before it all goes to hell).

i do know it tended to happen unusually often in the 'deepest desert' map in the alin campaign, where i had to subdue that one key to mezekesh(that enemy hero that looked like the cross between a sand worm and a human). i could just take the group i started with, bee-line for the dark spires in the center, and it would happen around the time i engaged them, it would start that soon.

Xi_Slave
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 11:12 AM EDT (US)     122 / 132       
After trying a crapload of things to solve the crashing problem on my comp, i think i finally found the answer. I got an integrated soundcard on my Nforce4 Motherboard. By turning it off my comp doesnt crash anymore.
The cool thing i still have sound, which i think strange cause there arent any other soundcards on my comp.
The game still slowdowns sometimes but that only last for a couple of seconds, i can live with that.
verkinix
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 11:17 AM EDT (US)     123 / 132       
I was able to narrow a crash on my system to the large unit physics option. When I turned that off, they game ran fine. Small price to pay to have it run. For me, I'm pretty sure it's due to my CPUs running hot in the summer. Thats where many of the calculations take place in dealing with the engine. I'll try that setting again this winter. Anyway, worth a try. Turn off the unit physics and see if that helps.
NaturalViolence
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 12:12 PM EDT (US)     124 / 132       
ROL crashes for me to, but only when I use scenario editor
Gadzooks
Zekeling
posted 08-08-06 12:21 PM EDT (US)     125 / 132       
I have found a fix for this issue on my machine

It actually came from the microsoft support people, can you believe it?

I would have never though this to be an issue, and in most cases, the cause of this problem usually HELPS performance in other games.

Right click my computer
-Select properties
---- Click Advanced

Find the "Performance" tab, and click Settings
--- Click the advanced tab

Make sure both options in this window are set to "Programs" and NOT background services or system cache.

I had mine set to system cache, which is a tip MANY tweak and game sites say to do to help with memory and increasing overall game performance. Aparently, RoL doesnt like this setting. Once I adjusted it and rebooted, the game ran fine and has not ONCE popped up the silly BHG D3DVertString error.

Hope this helps some of you fix your problem

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames