You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Tech Support
Moderated by alincarpetman, Aurilux

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Tech Support » Very poor performance on a high end machine - FIXED
Bottom
Topic Subject:Very poor performance on a high end machine - FIXED
thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-05-06 10:12 PM EDT (US)         
I've got a machine running a Athlon62 X2 4800+, a ATI Radeon x1900xtx, and 4GB of Corsair XMS Pro memory. With all settings on high (at 1024x768 resolution), I get about 8fps while looking at my base. Lowering the settings *does* fix the problem, but I've been reading about people running lesser hardware and playing the game with no hitches on full settings.

If it helps, I'm also using a Sound Blaster Audigy for sound.

Also, I don't know if its related, but the movies stutter a lot. I can open them using a BIK player, and they play fine, but I get stuttering inside the game.

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

AuthorReplies:
llafnwod
Zekeling
posted 06-05-06 11:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
The slow BIK files have nothing to do with it. Many high-end gfx cards have excellent OpenGL performance and abysmal DirectDraw; most machines have problems with the movies. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your CPU and GFX card. I hear dual-cores do some weird stuff when not updated. Also, tinker with the settings and try and find out which ones give you the most problems at high quality.
SonuvBob
Zekeling
posted 06-05-06 11:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
First thing to try is lowering sound acceleration in dxdiag (try basic and standard). If that does fix it, I don't know how to get it to work right w/full acceleration.

Also, if that doesn't fix in-game videos, read this:

Quoted from http://www.radgametools.com/binkfaq.htm:

Q: When running on a modern AMD CPU, my video skips - my machine is really fast, why is this happening?

A: There is a bug in the Windows system timer code when running on some AMD CPUs. The easiest way to work around it is to edit your c:\boot.ini file with Notepad, and add the switch "/usepmtimer" (without the quotes) onto the end of the Windows lines under the section, and then reboot.

[This message has been edited by SonuvBob (edited 06-05-2006 @ 11:58 PM).]

llafnwod
Zekeling
posted 06-06-06 01:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
Sonuv, I tried that, it doesn't work. It's a DD thing.
thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-06-06 10:11 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
Thanks for the replies, but the problems persist. I tested the graphics settings using FRAPS. View the same screen each time, my FPS went from 7 on max settings to 15 on lowest. Lowering my sound acceleration to "basic" increased my fps to 8 on max gfx and 20 on lowest.

As for the AMD dual core fix, I'm afraid it didn't help (strange, though, that the BIK player from the radtools site can play the movies without a hitch).

Regarding drivers, I just finished updating my graphics and processor drivers before installing ROL, so I think I'm good there.

Any other suggestions?

SonuvBob
Zekeling
posted 06-06-06 03:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
Assuming other games run fine, the only other thing I can think of is disabling sound entirely. Open up My Documents\My Games\Rise of Legends\personal.ini and change EnableSounds to 0.

Obviously there's something seriously wrong here; hopefully someone from BHG will have some suggestions.

I guess you could try setting RoL to only use one core. The game does support dual core: it's supposed to use one core solely for AI/physics, but maybe it's buggy.

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 06-06-06 05:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Disabling Hardware Sound might actually work for you, as has been the case on some higher-end systems with Audigy. Here’s a quick experiment to find out-

1. Open the file found under \My Documents\My Games\Rise of Legends\ called "personal.ini" in a text editor, such as Notepad.
2. Scroll to the very bottom and add the following line "HardwareAudio=0" without the quotation marks.
3. Go to File>Save and then Save that over the old one.
4. Run the game.

If the game loads, it was the sound card causing the problem, and you should now be good to go!

fhertlein
Zekeling
posted 06-06-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
What is your operating system?

Do you use ATI's control panel?

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-07-06 02:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Still no dice. I added the line to the ini file, and there was no change in my FPS. I use WinXP, and I also use the ATI Control panel, though I don't think any of my settings there would be affecting my gameplay (most of them are set to "application controlled".

EDIT: I just bought and installed the Warhammer 40k Dawn of War/Winter Assault combo, and I get low frame rates in that, too. I should also mention that I get decent FPS in other stuff like FEAR and Oblivion. Not sure if it'll help any, but there it is.

[This message has been edited by thezig (edited 06-07-2006 @ 03:29 AM).]

fhertlein
Zekeling
posted 06-07-06 01:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
Well XP has been know not to use or see all 4gigs of your RAM, whereas x64 uses 4gigs.

What is your motherboard? Latest BIOS installed?

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-07-06 05:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
Yeah, I know XP won't detect all of it. Through some hackery I've managed to get it to see 2.8GB, which is enough

I'm using a Biostar SLI motherboard, with the latest drivers.

fhertlein
Zekeling
posted 06-07-06 06:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
I wonder what would happen if you uninstalled the video card drivers and reinstalled them.

Generally speaking, what you describe almost always points to the drivers not working.

What if you run dxdiag and do the various video tests on the display tab?

What scores do you get when running the FEAR video card test?

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-07-06 11:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
I'm not sure reinstalling the drivers would help. I got the same performance with Cat 6.4 and the new 6.5. Dxdiag tests were all fine. My score in FEAR, using the in-game test, was an average FPS of 46, with 30% 25-40FPS, and 70% 40+FPS.
fhertlein
Zekeling
posted 06-08-06 11:02 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
I would expect your FEAR fps to be a little higher with your set up.

As you state, your system should run things a lot better, which still makes me think that the issue is revolving around drivers.

I presume that you also installed the motherboard chipset drivers.

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-08-06 05:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
I built this machine myself, and I'm fairly certain I installed all the drivers off the mobo's driver disc. I'll check again, though.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers.

Thanks for your help so far

Edit: No luck. I reinstalled the appropriate mobo drivers, and then uninstalled and reinstalled my vid drivers. My RoL and FEAR performance hasn't changed at all.

[This message has been edited by thezig (edited 06-08-2006 @ 05:54 PM).]

fhertlein
Zekeling
posted 06-08-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
My system is high end also, which is why I am stumped with the low performance.

I wonder if there are other forums out and about that might shed light on your setup.

General_Crespin
Zekeling
posted 06-09-06 06:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Have you tried removing 2 sticks of RAM and see what happens?

X2 4400+, 7800 GTX, 2GB Corsair XMS, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, X-Fi XM; runs at 1280x960 with no problems.

hegemony - he*gem'o*ny - The predominant influence, as of a state, region, or group over another or others.
Haegemonia: Legions of Iron
verkinix
Zekeling
posted 06-09-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
This is sort of a long shot, but its something thats recently worked well for me. My system is very different from yours, but its also custom built personally. Anyway, turns out many of my performance issues in many games were attributed to an insufficient PSU. I had a single 12v cable at 15A running all of my drives, dual processors and my graphics card. Recommended nowadays is 2 12v cables over 18A and having one running the graphics card and the other running the rest. Now, newer systems then my own would probably require a higher ampere rating on the 12v cables in order to run the higher powered equipment.

Now you may have this covered, but it was something I dealt with recently, so I figured I'd add something new to this thread. Hopefully it helps you or someone somewhere. From looking at your specs, I'd say you need alot of power, so I'd double check that to make sure your ratings are up to par. Also try a voltage regulator. The one I have is wonderful. It guarantees my computer gets a nice clean 110vs. I've noticed a huge boost in performance of all of my recent games with my new PSU and AVR components.

Good luck, I wish you all the best in your pursuit to getting RoL to run properly.

PS. I still cant get bik movies to run on here. Again, something to do with windows not liking my AMD system timer. Whats really odd is that bik movies run great in some games and horrible in others. Oblivions movies run fine, RoL's movies run awefully. Oh well, such is life.

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 06:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
Thanks for the replies.

The memory thing didn't help, unfortunately. As for my PSU, it's a Fortron Source 450 dual-rail supply, which should be enough for my system and then some. I'm glad someone brought it up, though, because it's a common issue.

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 12:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
Yeah, the specs for that PSU should be sufficient for your rig config. Did you check to make sure your graphics card was on its own 12v line? I've read in several places to make sure your graphics card has its own power source and the other devices using the other.

I do have one other idea from another thread. You have alot of memory so maybe try increasing your AGP aperture in your BIOS. I've read to put it to the same level as your graphics card, but for RoL, you need a minimum of 256MB AGP Ap. I've ran my system at both 512 and 256 and havent noticed much of a difference. My suggestion would be to increase this slightly and see if that helps. The other thing is that if you have it too high, it will actually slow things down as well. With the abundance of memory your system has, it may be set higher then it should be so that would be causing slowness as well. Try it out at 128 (losing some setting options), 256 and 512. I wouldnt do much higher then that. Anyway, if I think of anything else, I'll let ya know.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-10-06 06:20 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
My mobo/vidcard are PCI-Express, so there's no AGP settings to mess with (I checked the bios just to make sure). Also, the vidcard has its own special 6-pin power connector, which I can only assume is on its own rail.

I'm really stumped on this one.

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 06-11-06 05:46 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
Yeah, that is a brain stumper. I do have one other idea which might be a bit crude. Try taking some RAM out. Leave 2 Gigs in and see what the machine does. I have no idea if that will work, but the only thing that comes to mind is a conflict somewhere. If it works, great, if not, just put the RAM back in and contact a tech

Anyway, again good luck

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-11-06 10:22 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
I already tried taking out some memory, no dice

guess it's time to find that tech

thezig
Zekeling
posted 06-20-06 07:46 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
I've solved my problem. Anybody who's got a ATI 1000 series card and uses a nforce4 mobo should listen closely. The card and mobo are not entirely compatable with the current drivers. If you're getting freezes or general instability, you can contact ATI for hotfix drivers.

For the record, my performance issue was due to my having my card in the "slow" slot of my sli motherboard. It was in that slot because I was freezing up when it was in the "fast" slot, though I didn't know they were different speeds when I first encountered the freezing.

Now even the movies play smoothly!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames