You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by alincarpetman, Aurilux

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1245 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » Questions for BHG!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Questions for BHG!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 45 46 47 48 49  Next Page »
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 12-19-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)         
Put Your Questions for BHG Here!
AuthorReplies:
verkinix
Zekeling
posted 06-20-06 04:32 PM EDT (US)     1151 / 1245       
Hey Greypawn,

I just want to thank the Team for unlocking the CPU constraints! Oh the game looks more beautiful then I had imagined as the colors are more vivid and the transparencies are existant when the building animations are turned on. Honestly, the game running at full settings runs exactly the same as without, so I am glad I can experience the beautiful work your team put into the game. I played a match last night and found myself just watching the buildings of the Alin instead of playing. After a while the game locked up and the computer went down, but I think that was heat related as its been pretty warm here lately. Anyway, I just want to say again, you guys did a fabulous job with this game and I really appreciate you listening to us about certain issues. I will definitely promote this game to friends of mine (well already have been but hey, a little more cant hurt and I look forward to an expansion.

One last thing I would like put into RoL is the CTW of RoN where it was free and open. I like to roleplay all of my games so I like to have as many options available as possible so I can play different games each time. I thought that CTW was brilliant as it played like one of my favorite board games Risk. An MP version of that would be awesome too. It'd bring your games into the realm of Civilization IV, but in a unique way. Anyway, give your team my thanks and please pass along my suggestion. I now see that BHG has a higher integrity level then most other game making companies out there and am pleased to support such a company.

Keep up the great work and Thanks a ton!

Verkinix

ChaosMaster130
Zekeling
posted 06-20-06 06:26 PM EDT (US)     1152 / 1245       
Did the patch do anything? cuz people still drop and connection bugs are still there.Also are you planning to get rid of ALL the locks on Graphics and stuff?

My Elder Glass Dragon+Glass fury+Your army=YOU PWNZRD!1!!1
HasnainDBest
Zekeling
posted 06-21-06 06:56 AM EDT (US)     1153 / 1245       
any chance of a stand alone patch?

i'm having trouble patching.. although i used to be able to connect fine.. i re-installed twice. the game crashes when i patch , giving this error:

Error 12029 in WinHttpOpenRequest

"The downside, of this, of course, is that Alim units simply cannot go toe-to-toe with their Alim equivalent."

-GameSpy ROL preview

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 06-21-06 03:13 PM EDT (US)     1154 / 1245       
Modding is dead, Greypawn, face it, all because no-one can personalise the skins. How can you make new units without a little skin change?!

I've given up on modding, and I just play online.

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 06-22-06 01:47 AM EDT (US)     1155 / 1245       
Great questions all- and I will have answers to them for you this upcoming Wednesday, as I am out of town for my grandfather's funeral until then.
Alvinz92
Zekeling
posted 06-22-06 05:18 AM EDT (US)     1156 / 1245       
Sorry about your grandfather. Im sure he was a great guy.
MudokonGod
Banned
posted 06-22-06 10:23 AM EDT (US)     1157 / 1245       
What is the lighting in this screenshot? Was it removed from the game, or does it's bright yellowness require weather being activated or something?
I also can't find the lighting for this screenshot.

(I refer to the lighting list in the scenario editor)

moogleii
Zekeling
posted 06-22-06 08:49 PM EDT (US)     1158 / 1245       
Minor request, is there anyway that the behaviors for Ctrl and Shift can be optionally reversed in user settings?

I personally prefer Windows/Blizzard style controls, where ctrl is select all, and shift is add/remove.

Just a small request. Not a big deal.

Henara
Zekeling
posted 06-27-06 03:18 AM EDT (US)     1159 / 1245       
Hi guys, i am new to all and therefore i try to read through this entire thread, avoiding to place questions allready answered.
(Very good job of BHG to give the community a possibility to communicate with them! I hope you listen to your customers suggestions and take them in your game (the good ones ;-) ))

I am a Starcraft multiplayer freak from the beginning, but now after years of clan- and fungaming with SC/BW i was looking for a new game which could take Starcraft`s Role in Multiplayer Business! Therefore i bought RoL! Superb Engine, 3 totally different Races and a very good "system of play"! Therefore even my friends are converting from Starcraftfreaks into RoL-noobs!

Here are my questions based on multiplayer gaming for 4 days now to Greypawn:

1. I found this:
------------------------------------------------------------
Does the final version have unlimited zoom (in and out)/tilt for watching replays?

If by "unlimited zoom" you mean Free Camera mode, nope.

Quote:

I'd also like to know, why was the zoom so limited? Is there any reason other than "performance" (which is unacceptable IMHO, seems just like a cheap trick to lower system requirements if that's the only reason).
It would be more playable if you could zoom out a bit more, even if it meant turning down some of the settings i wouldn't really mind I don't think.

The trick with any RTS is making it so that the player at the low end of the minspec can still fight on equal footing against the player at the highest end of the spectrum. So it comes back to performance and balancing with regards to zoom.
------------------------------------------------------------

My question: Can`t you (BHG) include a variable Camera? One with which every user could decide how he uses it? That with lower power could use "standard" (for example how it is now) and those with more power could use the free camera with a "big huge" ;-) zoom! it is really annoying, having lots of large units on the battlefield but no overview => chaos!!

2. Could the unit limit (300) be replaced bye an option which lets you decide for example between 200 and 800?
=> With more Units and larger maps you could have battles on more then one point on the map! You understand what i mean? For example for guys who want it more "strategic" you got a 1v1 on a 6 or 8 player map! => defende here, attack there...!

3. Could you include the neutral sides more into the multiplayer maps? They are a great addition to the game! Please more of them in Patches and Addon!

4. Could you make the coming multiplayermaps more "individual"? f.e. a 6 player map, not 3 in north and 3 in south...! => boring! (when all maps look like this)

5. I have played about 40 games now, but did not see that the map "takes damage". Is it possible to include f.e. bridges in multiplayermaps which are destroy- and repairable? such stuff would be great! (not only bridges...)
(perhaps bridges are destroyabel, but i played no map yet with bridges)

6. Will you make an "experience-system" for all the units? that would be a huge add to the game! for example increasing the skills (defence & attack & speed...), changing the look of the uint a little (f. e. stigma on skin); additional to the technological lvls for heros! (which in my opinion sucks - i want to lvl my hero up with exp!)
This would compense the unlimited resources enormous and add a new tactial option to the game! (not only 3 lvls but about 10, slowly getting exp and units becoming a little (!) bit stronger/faster... every lvl, so that you have to take care of your units - and not only heros!)
=> you could add a "support-function" which reduces your resource income for experienced units to avoid overwhelming wealth!

7. What i like really in ROL are the units, small soldiers big Golem (like sun idol). But what is a bit "boring" to me is that this units only use one attack (sun beam, or glass golem that glass throwing...)! so, there is that one unit, doing that one beam every 5 sec... ;-(! I would like to see the engine use its power with more attacking moves! (f.e. sun idol has even 2 hands => perhaps 2 beams? with half damage?)
for example the cuotl are very boring with their attacks, nearly every unit uses beams! even the "bomber"; death sphere is a little city of vengeance...

So my question: Will you vary the attacks and looks of the units a little bit more in some patches or perhaps in a good addon? (Land Leviathan is in my Opinion a perfect one)

8. Last question for now: Is it planned to have a choice while "upgrading" (research) your race, for example like beeing more speciallised in air units or beam technoligy (cuotl), like its in C&C Generals (Zero Hour??).

[This message has been edited by Henara (edited 06-28-2006 @ 03:30 AM).]

The Steam Punk
Zekeling
posted 06-27-06 11:42 PM EDT (US)     1160 / 1245       
Im sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I just dont have the patience to read all 47 pages.

So...

Who is that guy defending the Vinci in the intro? And is the intro just a bunch of eye candy or does it set up parts of Aio's history for us? (there is an entire post trying to resolve these issues)

Also, in the exspansion pack (assuming there will be one), are they considering Naval units?

Jumbalaya
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 07:06 AM EDT (US)     1161 / 1245       
Is there a way to disable that music in the lobby? I always have to end up unplugging my headset

lol im jumby
MudokonGod
Banned
posted 06-28-06 08:20 AM EDT (US)     1162 / 1245       

Quote:

I'd also like to know, why was the zoom so limited? Is there any reason other than "performance" (which is unacceptable IMHO, seems just like a cheap trick to lower system requirements if that's the only reason).
It would be more playable if you could zoom out a bit more, even if it meant turning down some of the settings i wouldn't really mind I don't think.

Free camera mode would mean you could zoom out so far the whole map is visible. Try doing it in the editor - it's possible there.
Upon being zoomed out so far, the game lags and runs at less that 1 fps, assuming units or foliage exist on the map.
Such lag would be utterly unbearable, especially in a multiplayer game if someone else is zooming out really far and making it lag for everyone.
It's because the computer has to process everything all at once, which it can't do.
Henara
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 08:34 AM EDT (US)     1163 / 1245       
yes, you are right! but it is not needed to zoom out at maximum! just that much, you can have an overview of a larger army with "large" units!
S31Apocalypse
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 08:37 AM EDT (US)     1164 / 1245       
My only gripe & its a big one IMO.. Is the MP UI does NOT put everyone in a basic general chat.. IMO everyone SHOULD be in the same chat room. then they can talk move to other rooms & actually have a reason to get to know eachother..

No one really has anything to say in a game, no time.. So no one really gets to know anyone other than forums & playing hundreds of games.. I never seen more than 10 people in chat WTH.. I would love to talk to people after a game but its stupid to have to look them up & add them to a buddy list.. When after & before a game we should all be hanging in a chat..

I think ROL is one the the better RTS games i ever played.. I been gaming since Total Anni was hi tech..

anyway GREAT game, GREAT ui, bad community with BHG & bridger & some others doing all they can from outside the game itself, to build player numbers

anyway does anyone agree with me or am i just not thinking about it like everyone else..

S31|Apocalypse
www.s31clan.com
You Will all Beg for Mercy! In Vain!!
"Regis Mark V"
As a Human I will not Worship any being out there! I can not Lower myself !!
"Apocalypse"
Henara
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 08:49 AM EDT (US)     1165 / 1245       
i agree with you! 100%!
this has surely to be fixed!

from this now comes a question to you Greypawn:

Isn`t it the most easy way to make a game "good" (rol is allready good but then lets say great) to take "parts" of older games which are successfull and include it to the new one?
I am sure, would rol have some features from older games (like experience for units, choosable unit limit and a better camera + zoom) rol would allready now have a huge community! And surely that "chat"! everyone knows how successfull battlenet is! why is there no "standard-chat" when you enter a game??

please fix this BHG!

MudokonGod
Banned
posted 06-28-06 11:10 AM EDT (US)     1166 / 1245       

Quote:

I am sure, would rol have some features from older games (like experience for units, choosable unit limit and a better camera + zoom) rol would allready now have a huge community!

I disagree - I wouldn't play it if the unit limit was choosable, if the camera was free, and if all units gained experience. We can debate this properly (if you want), but in another thread, because this thread is supposed to be just questions for BHG.
GreyPawn
Hero
posted 06-28-06 05:13 PM EDT (US)     1167 / 1245       

Quote:

Will formation be added in the future?
This game is pretty cool, but with little formation it will be greater and more strategical.
another thing:

Large-army formations aren't slated to be added at current.

Quote:

when moving unit:
i i right click and drag in a direction i indicate to my units where to face. but it is as strategicaly as in Ground Control 2 where units got différents armor ?

IT is bonus/malus brom being in heigh low position?

Positioning and height offer no specific tactical advantage in the way of direct unit bonuses, though there may be strategic advantages to be had.

Quote:

What are the two new maps besides miana station?

Well, let me say that there will be more than just two new maps. And I'm not going to spoil the fun of discovering them for yourselves.

Quote:

Did the patch do anything? cuz people still drop and connection bugs are still there.Also are you planning to get rid of ALL the locks on Graphics and stuff?

The last patch, 1.5, was built to improve multiplayer stability, which it did measurably. There are a few persistent minor issues which are being addressed at current. Only the processor speed restriction was removed (for folks with dual processors).

Quote:

any chance of a stand alone patch?

Nope, not that I am aware of.

Quote:

What is the lighting in this screenshot? Was it removed from the game, or does it's bright yellowness require weather being activated or something?
I also can't find the lighting for this screenshot.

I can't speak to the specifics of volumetric distance fog in the editor, but those are game-legal screenshots.

Quote:

Minor request, is there anyway that the behaviors for Ctrl and Shift can be optionally reversed in user settings?

Not at current.

Quote:

My question: Can`t you (BHG) include a variable Camera? One with which every user could decide how he uses it? That with lower power could use "standard" (for example how it is now) and those with more power could use the free camera with a "big huge" ;-) zoom! it is really annoying, having lots of large units on the battlefield but no overview => chaos!!

The camera level was settled on for ease of use and performance reasons.

Quote:

2. Could the unit limit (300) be replaced bye an option which lets you decide for example between 200 and 800?

Most competitive games of RoL never actually reach the 300 population limit, and if they do the battles are usually epic and quick. Adding in the option for additional choices might be something to consider for the future though.

Quote:

3. Could you include the neutral sides more into the multiplayer maps? They are a great addition to the game! Please more of them in Patches and Addon!

4. Could you make the coming multiplayermaps more "individual"? f.e. a 6 player map, not 3 in north and 3 in south...! => boring! (when all maps look like this)

A greater focus is placed on the actual human component of multiplayer maps, since that is where the main action will (and should) be taking place. We'll definitely consider building new maps with more attention paid to neutral units though.

Quote:

5. I have played about 40 games now, but did not see that the map "takes damage". Is it possible to include f.e. bridges in multiplayermaps which are destroy- and repairable? such stuff would be great! (not only bridges...)
(perhaps bridges are destroyabel, but i played no map yet with bridges)

Destructible terrain is fun, I agree! We'll have to see what the future holds for the newest maps.

Quote:

6. Will you make an "experience-system" for all the units? that would be a huge add to the game! for example increasing the skills (defence & attack & speed...),

So my question: Will you vary the attacks and looks of the units a little bit more in some patches or perhaps in a good addon? (Land Leviathan is in my Opinion a perfect one)

A great suggestion! I'll pass this along to the team.

Quote:

Who is that guy defending the Vinci in the intro? And is the intro just a bunch of eye candy or does it set up parts of Aio's history for us? (there is an entire post trying to resolve these issues)

Also, in the exspansion pack (assuming there will be one), are they considering Naval units?

The Vinci hero that sacrifices himself in the opening cinematic is not yet public knowledge. Much of Aio's past is uncertain, and tellings of the three races histories vary from tome to tome, but I am confident that more will be revealed in time.

Quote:

Is there a way to disable that music in the lobby? I always have to end up unplugging my headset

Apart from turning off the music, no, not to my knowledge.

Quote:

My only gripe & its a big one IMO.. Is the MP UI does NOT put everyone in a basic general chat.. IMO everyone SHOULD be in the same chat room. then they can talk move to other rooms & actually have a reason to get to know eachother..

The intent of the multiplayer interface wasn't to provide community or sustain discourse in much the fashion these great forums do, but rather expedite a player's journey into a hosted game. In many games, you have to idle for quite awhile in a general chat room with anonymous fellow gamers, hoping that someone will host a game and going through the rote tradition of joining a chat room, then finding out the game name, and joining it. RoLO cuts out the middle-man, and gets you playing quicker.

Quote:

Isn`t it the most easy way to make a game "good" (rol is allready good but then lets say great) to take "parts" of older games which are successfull and include it to the new one?
I am sure, would rol have some features from older games (like experience for units, choosable unit limit and a better camera + zoom) rol would allready now have a huge community! And surely that "chat"! everyone knows how successfull battlenet is! why is there no "standard-chat" when you enter a game??

While this may be true in some respects, in others, too much comparative selection can be harmful. Imagine if you will, taking the best parts of all the foods you love, combining them in a big crock pot and stewing it for a few hours. If you picked the right things, it could be really great. Potatoes, carrots, onions, steak and celery; all great things that when combined, compliment each other. However, take and stew donuts, a blueberry slushee, pickles, cole slaw and oranges, all also great things- for a few hours and you'd be liable to end up with something that the dog wouldn't eat. It works the same way with game development, in that adding things that are right isn't as necessarily important as adding things that are right and compliment each other perfectly.

storm legion
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 05:33 PM EDT (US)     1168 / 1245       

Quote:

donuts, a blueberry slushee, pickles, cole slaw and oranges

donut a la slushy avec pickled slaw et orange, bon appetit!

yummy =)

well i'm glad to hear that BHG has an open mind for patches that add gameplay features rather than just the usual maps 'n' fixes package

Quote:

Could the unit limit (300) be replaced bye an option which lets you decide for example between 200 and 800?

O_o

zomg! 800? or even more than 300? personally i've never hit the 300 mark, usually not even 200, online or offline in RoL, and i had hyouge armies of dragons and walkers and a myriad of other things. the battles i get into are usually titanic enough as it is i think, with the screen covered by the steaming moving fortresses of the vinci armies and the eerie enigmatic creations of the cuotl legions and the awe-inspiring magical beings of the alin kingdoms

i guess for some really really heavy boomers who hit the 300 mark often it would be nice, but i can't imagine so huge an army in a game like RoL, you could have rome: total war sized battles with it if you just took infantry

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
Micster
Zekeling
posted 06-28-06 08:47 PM EDT (US)     1169 / 1245       
GreyPawn, any chance of some Mother Nature units that have a chance of attacking in the future?

Oh noes.
Henara
Zekeling
posted 06-29-06 02:40 AM EDT (US)     1170 / 1245       
Thank you for your answers greypawn! Thx for taking our questions serious!

You are right with your suggestion concerning "good old "features" from other games"! Maybe too much or the wrong ones combined suck...

Well i did not say: I need 800 limit for every match!
I am talking about giving the "players" some liberties!
As i said, keep 300 standard! Or keep the camera standard!
but put a button in somewhere were you can push the limit up or enable a better zoom!
For example for just doing a fungame with a friend going it on more like a "conquer the world" on one multiplayer map (1v1 @ huge 8 player map) so you can have fun kick each others ass with a lot of untis and attacks at several points @ the map.

The 300 limit is good! and i am thankfull it is not 200! Yes i even nearly never reach it in a competitive
i-want-to-win-game! But as i said, for funmatches and perhaps fun-multiplayermaps with some different style of play a limit with more or less units would suit better.

To Greypawn: I know it takes time and work to try to make a game complete! I know you guys have to work on other things! I ask a lot of questions for good possible features that come in my mind (from others or my own brain), but when i am anoying you, just tell me... ;-)

Question to Greypawn: I don`t know if this was answered yet, but i read through this thread nearly completely, so:
How does it work when i create my own multiplayer map? Can i choose that map in "Creat Custom game" to play on it?
Will the map be downloaded from me to the other players like in Broodwar? Or how does this whole thing work?
I haven`t played on a self made multiplayer map yet, did not see only one in an online game...!

Another issue / question concerning heros:

I read this in another topic, where a guy mentioned more heros!
=> Couldn`t there be a "pool" of heros where you can chose 3 out of 6 or 9? (for each race) (perhaps for funmatches you could include an assortment how many heros to use, but keep 3 standard!)
=> an (perhaps stupid) example: specialising on in-fight-combat with 3 heroes like czin, giving "in-fight-combat-units" a special bonus when all 3 of that heros on the battlefield?

[This message has been edited by Henara (edited 06-29-2006 @ 03:19 AM).]

iLord
Zekeling
(id: Lord Iarune)
posted 06-29-06 12:37 PM EDT (US)     1171 / 1245       
I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet, but...

Will there be at least one new faction in the RoL Expansion?

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

MudokonGod
Banned
posted 06-29-06 03:32 PM EDT (US)     1172 / 1245       

Quote:

How does it work when i create my own multiplayer map?

Follow the map making guide in the Downloads section for Multiplayer Maps.

Quote:

Can i choose that map in "Creat Custom game" to play on it?

Yes. You can choose your multiplayer map in any quick battles/skirmishes.

Quote:

Will the map be downloaded from me to the other players like in Broodwar? Or how does this whole thing work?

Yes, other players automatically download the map.

Quote:

I haven`t played on a self made multiplayer map yet, did not see only one in an online game...!

Well, I've made one which is the downloads section. It's just a standard skirmish though, not a blood or special MP scenario.

Sorry Greypawn for answering your questions! Have this question instead:
Is it possible to use more than one tileset on a single map? For example, I would like to have jungle terrains in the south, and arctic/snowy terrains in the north.

Doggiedoodle
Zekeling
posted 06-30-06 01:32 AM EDT (US)     1173 / 1245       

Quote:

Will there be at least one new faction in the RoL Expansion?

Well unless the situation changes between now and greypawn's next post, I imagine the answer will be there have been no official anouncements regarding an expansion so he couldn't possibly comment on it.

This is a forged signature.

A wise Camasp once said, "When in doubt, assasinate everyone."

Henara
Zekeling
posted 06-30-06 02:20 AM EDT (US)     1174 / 1245       
thx for the information mudokongod!
there should come some self-made multiplayer maps into the multiplayer-life...! A Lot of the best maps in multiplayer come from the players themself! So just bring on your maps!

to greypawn: What is going on with this gamespy-shit?
I am really getting angry now! me, my brother and a friend out of my neighbourhood want to play 3v3! but only 2 of us always make it into a game! why? cause there is everytime that stupid message "error occured..." or it does simply not work to get the third in bye a "timeout" while connecting!!!
When will this work? After about 150 times trying to get all 3 in one game we are upset like hell!

=> Anything we can do to fix this?

[This message has been edited by Henara (edited 07-02-2006 @ 02:32 PM).]

Carnitron
Zekeling
posted 07-01-06 10:50 PM EDT (US)     1175 / 1245       
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there an ETA on when the patch that supports the Ageia card is going to be released? I got the card for specifically for this game, so I'm hoping it will be soon!

Cheers,
PCG

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 45 46 47 48 49  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames