You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1245 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » Questions for BHG!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Questions for BHG!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 41 42 43 44 ··· 50  Next Page »
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 12-19-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)         
Put Your Questions for BHG Here!
AuthorReplies:
FoxLegend
Zekeling
posted 05-18-06 07:59 PM EDT (US)     1026 / 1245       
Hey GP, how have sales been so far. Any report?

And this is why I said, put "Slain by pope Benedict with Excalibur" on the obituary. - Roadkill the Cat
jpinard
Zekeling
posted 05-18-06 08:37 PM EDT (US)     1027 / 1245       
Two things I hope you can address as soon as possible.

1. Sound effects (not music or voiceovers) dropping to near inaudible levels. Happening to almost everyone and we have no idea why.

2. Camera lock. Some of us with fast systems are slightly upset that you locked the camera angle. I can understand the zoom level because of mp, but many of us would like to enjoy RoL at a cinematic perspective (zoomed all the way in at a low planar angle so we see the landscape from unit perspective). In addition we should have the option (if we have the horsepower to zoom further out in SP.

Thanks!

BlackFish55
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 00:07 AM EDT (US)     1028 / 1245       
uhhh.. the camera isn't locked. you just have to use your mousewheel. wheel up/down is zoom in/out and holding the wheel and drag will change the angle. It's quite simple actually

any make sure scroll lock is off.

I'd be nice in future patches to have smoother animations with the units.

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 01:58 AM EDT (US)     1029 / 1245       
Hi, me again. I found something that may or may not help those of you with mouse control issues. In the personal.ini file in the My Documents\My Games\Rise Of Legends folder there is a line called RestrictMouse=1. Maybe try setting this to 0. Hope that helps. Anyone who tries this, let us know if it works or not.

I also solved my menu movie issue. I did find the movies under the videos folder (duh stupid me) and just renamed the 4x3 intro video. Now the background is simply black and the menu runs perfectly. I am making progress on my quest to override the lockout controls, but I'll probably solve it by the time I'm able to afford a new computer so... such is life.

Anyway, thanks to RoL, I'm learning alot and getting very little gaming time in.

Thanks again

*Edit*

So I was playing some good ole comp-stomp in MP and realized that there is no personal score or rating for that. Three of us almost got wasted by a single hardest comp and we put in a couple solid, hard hours to defeat that psychopath only to discover it didnt count in our ratings. Now, not everyone likes to play against other people (mostly because too many people rush and the match is over in 2 minutes), but I would like to have some progress for my time as well. I was thinking maybe BHG could add a different rating system for those who like to play vs comps. It could record different levels of computer difficulty as well as how many humans played against the comps. This way, we wouldnt be stuck with the same avatar and low level in MP even though we arent noobs anymore. It could just say something like CS-Capt to indicate we are a captain in compstompage. There doesnt need to be a tournament or anything like that, but it would be nice to not be forced to play against people who are just insanely good at rushing through a match just for the purpose of adding a tally to their profile without any real concideration for the game itself.

Oh, btw, great job on the AI! I've played it a couple times and it was tough for the 3 of us to beat. I'm sure it uses a handicap system like every other game, but it seems balanced. I'm sure I'll get good at the AI where hardest isnt hard anymore (like every other RTS game), but this one doesnt seem to just quit when its getting pummeled like other games. Thanks again and great job on the game.

I do hope BHG replies sometime soon. I keep adding more stuff as I experience it and it would be nice to have some sort of assurance that this isnt going to waste

[This message has been edited by verkinix (edited 05-19-2006 @ 03:11 PM).]

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 05-19-06 07:50 PM EDT (US)     1030 / 1245       
Heya folks,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply for a few days- I got a call earlier this week telling me that my maternal grandfather, the man who raised me as a father, had lung cancer and has been hospitalized with heart attacks which were related. I flew down as soon as I could to be by his side and help with healthcare arrangements.

Thankfully, things are now more stable and look a little less dire than they did earlier this week, so I'll be tentatively returning on Wednesday. Thank you for your patience during this unexpected interuption of our regularly scheduled forum community interaction.

Warm Regards,
Joe "GreyPawn" Pishgar
Community Relations Manager
Big Huge Games

Bats
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 08:32 PM EDT (US)     1031 / 1245       
Best wishes to you and your family, Joe. I hope everything turns out okay.
FoxLegend
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 08:41 PM EDT (US)     1032 / 1245       
May fate be merciful.
I don't feel taht words can do a lot in this situation but you should never loose hope

And this is why I said, put "Slain by pope Benedict with Excalibur" on the obituary. - Roadkill the Cat
icedrake8
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 10:26 PM EDT (US)     1033 / 1245       
Meh...I know what you're going through. My Mom just died of cancer on the 11th. She'd been fighting it for three years - in the end her liver and kidneys failed. Not a pleasant way to go.

Sadly, I never knew either of my grandfathers - both died before I was born, something which I have deeply regretted my whole life.

As Fox said, there are no words that can really help in this situation.

There is, however, a song. It's called Glory to the Brave, by Hammerfall (rock music). I don't know what kind of music you like, but this song has helped me tremendously with Mom's passing. May it be of similar aid to you in this troubled time.

http://www.radioblogclub.com/search/0/hammerfall

Basically just click on that link, then scroll down the link that says Hammerfall - Glory to the Brave. Then click it, and it will stream.

Best wishes,
Wolf.

"Fanatics find their heaven in never-ending storming wind
Auguries of Destruction be a lullaby for Rebirth"

Proud Leader of the Order of Champions - OoC_Wolf

Rudhfalas
Zekeling
posted 05-19-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     1034 / 1245       
Here's my question for BHG, forgive me if it's been asked before, but I'd like to know :

What were your inspirations when creating the Cuotl?

The Alin are from the Arabian Nights, The vinci... Yeah. But the Cuotl just didn't seem like it came out of some legend to me.

jpinard
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 01:07 AM EDT (US)     1035 / 1245       
Blackfish, you said "uhhh.. the camera isn't locked. you just have to use your mousewheel. wheel up/down is zoom in/out and holding the wheel and drag will change the angle. It's quite simple actually
any make sure scroll lock is off.

I'd be nice in future patches to have smoother animations with the units."

I know you can mousewheel and change the angle - I'm not stupid. If you took the time to look and try out what I said you'd understand the issue. Zoom in all the way on a unit and try to cange the viewing angle so you're parallel to the ground. You CANNOT do that.

GreyPawn - I'm very sorry to hear that. It's strange, but I've been going through the exact same thing with my Grandmother. She never smoked, but a few months ago had cancer removed from her armpit area - they thought they got it all, but it had already sent out cells to her lungs, and she now has lung cancer. The doctor's have been pretty crappy, and didn't bother to fully find out what these "nodules" were that showed up on x-ray a month ago. 2 weeks ago, her lung collapsed and they thought it was pulmonary embolism - but when they operated and opened up there area, found it was a huge tumor. Her lung is now permanently deflated and she's only got 3/4 of her other lung left. I drove out right away to see her (4 hours away) and thankfully got to spend some time with her. She's now at a relaitives in their area with Hospice... and Hospice is a wonderful organization. My Granmdother and I were always very close even though we were far apart, but we'd talk on the phone for hours. She's said "when the jig's up, it's time to go!" Such amazing outlook she has. We can only pray she goes quickly and with as little discomfort as possible. So this long story, is not to take away anything from the pain you're going through - but to hopefully help you know you're not alone, we understand, and our thoughts are with you.

Take care

Bridger
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 01:09 AM EDT (US)     1036 / 1245       
Cuotl were inspired by a book from the...50s or 60s i think. It was about an alien race crashlanding on earth and being misaken for gods.

Quote:

Now, not everyone likes to play against other people (mostly because too many people rush and the match is over in 2 minutes), but I would like to have some progress for my time as well.

The match isn't over in 2 minutes if you are as good as the person rushing. Rushing only works if the person getting rush is less skiled. So really a rush simply ends a game in the same way as if the rusher boomed, it just ends it quicker.

Rushing isn't a bad thing as long as it's not overpowerd. If rushing was the only viable strat in RoL i wouldn't be playing it, but as it stands now it's quite risky to do.

If you have that much of an issue with rushing, read "Playing to Win" (the articles on his site or his book) by David Sirlin (www.sirlin.net, and if that still doesn't convince you, just use the no rush rules provided with the game. Just keep in mind you'll never really be competing.

Also, the computer (even at the highest levels) is easy to beat if you rush it, so a ladder for comp stomp would be pretty pointless as the AI simply can't do well against humans

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!

[This message has been edited by Bridger (edited 05-20-2006 @ 01:15 AM).]

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 03:38 AM EDT (US)     1037 / 1245       
Hey GreyPawn, sorry if I sounded impatient before. I didnt mean to come off that way. It's like you never really think about the others on the otherside of the posts that might have real issues going on. Again I appologize.

As for the Cuotl, that concept reminds me of stargate a little. Aliens with extremely advanced technology imposing on lower civilizations the ideas that they are gods and using them for their own personal agendas. Not sure if thats where the idea came from, but its a good idea none the less.

Take care.

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 03:49 AM EDT (US)     1038 / 1245       
I'm sorry to hear that Greypawn.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Chum
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 09:25 AM EDT (US)     1039 / 1245       
Firstly - Sorry to hear the bad news GP. Best of luck.

Secondly - I'm wondering if you could pass a request/question on. For the most part you guys have included hotkeys for just about every possible action that one could desire in an RTS.

There is one that I would like to see added, however. As it stands right now, if there is a pre-existing control group there is no way, via the keyboard, to assign newly created units from a building to that control group. Here's an example:

Control Group 1 is a pre-existing control group that has a Hero and 2 infantry units. I would like for any units created from a newly built Barracks to automatically join Control Group 1. Currently I can select the Barracks and right-click on the Control Group 1 icon -- but there is no keyboard command that performs the same function.

Perhaps it could be added to the "Alt + #" hotkey that isn't currently in use. I.E. Select the building, press Alt + [Control Group #] and now all newly created units will be automatically added to that Control Group.

Thanks for taking the time to field the community’s questions and again, best wishes for your family.

Electrical storm
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 05:33 PM EDT (US)     1040 / 1245       
srry to hear that best of luck
tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 05-20-06 11:29 PM EDT (US)     1041 / 1245       
will ROL be switched from gamespy to something else or will they fix the problems with gamespy?

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
Electrical storm
Zekeling
posted 05-21-06 12:08 PM EDT (US)     1042 / 1245       
yeah the gamespyservers lag too much and when u invite a freind to a game 90% of the time they cant join out of my experiance

Rol pwns
need i say more
Czin_Minion
Zekeling
posted 05-21-06 12:30 PM EDT (US)     1043 / 1245       
Damn the entire world distribution of things, I am sitting here waiting for the game to arrive at my retailer and Spain my dearest neighbour already has the game for almost 2 weeks, I mean cmon!!! I soo hate Spain in the econ part, they have every thing cheaper sooner and sometimes better quality..........

Oh and just for the record I have searched many sites of online retailers around Europe and ONLY Spanish stores have it...
And now there is a new huge shopping mall in the city just the other side of the river built by a well known Spanish company... I hate these advantages are all for them...

[This message has been edited by Czin_Minion (edited 05-21-2006 @ 12:35 PM).]

MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 05-21-06 08:58 PM EDT (US)     1044 / 1245       
I have played two campaign scenarios and noticed that there is a huge difference between “Moderate” difficulty and “Tough”.
Playing on moderate is way too easy as the AI is very passive and it does not create too many units.
On the other hand the “Tough” level is very challenging (at least to me) as the AI is very aggressive and it generates many units.
So far I was not able to beat that level.

Why is the difference so big and is it possible to adjust the difficulty levels or add a new one between these two?

There are also some problems with control groups as adding units to a control group via the SHIFT key does not always work.

verkinix
Zekeling
posted 05-21-06 11:06 PM EDT (US)     1045 / 1245       
I have found an issue with the mouse controls. When the user options use left mouse button configuration is turned on, I am able to play using the left mouse button to select and move units and right mouse button to deselect. The issue is when I select a group of units and try to garrison them inside the bunker. I have the units selected and then left click on the bunker only to select the bunker instead. I've been trying to get it to work, but the icon that shows up with that toggle off does not show up when the toggle is on. I hope this fix comes soon because I get a little confused using the right/action left/select config. Thanks

*Edit*

I just had an interesting and useful idea. I found that when multiple bosses are selected, only one bosses abilities are displayed in the abilities area. I noticed that the other two rows of icons are not used so perhaps when multiple Bosses are selected, they could each have their own abilities row and allow the player to use all of their powers without having to deselect the displayed boss. The qwer, Shift-qwer, and ctrl-qwer would correspond to boss 1, boss 2 and boss 3 's abilites.

Hope this get implemented Thanks

[This message has been edited by verkinix (edited 05-22-2006 @ 00:02 AM).]

Taufiq Khan
Zekeling
(id: Shala_T)
posted 05-22-06 07:22 AM EDT (US)     1046 / 1245       
I sincerely hope for the best for you and your family, GP.

A question: If you ever do have an expansion, do you think that BHG will be looking at the community ideas while deciding on the specs? I have made and seen what I think are some great ideas around here

★★★★★
code255
Zekeling
posted 05-22-06 08:18 AM EDT (US)     1047 / 1245       
verkinix, if you've got units of various types selected, you can quickly cycle through them by pressing Tab. Shift-Tab will cycle back, or you can just press Shift multiple times to get back to the 1st unit type.
storm legion
Zekeling
posted 05-22-06 09:02 AM EDT (US)     1048 / 1245       
sorry about your grandfather greypawn, best of luck

but i was wondering, is there gonna be a stratagy guide to this game? like tactics, campaign maps, maybe even tips on the map editor?

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
Xtreme64
Zekeling
posted 05-22-06 11:38 AM EDT (US)     1049 / 1245       
-Shala, I don't think businesses taking ideas from their customers is legal. Don't ask me why.
Czin_Minion
Zekeling
posted 05-22-06 11:53 AM EDT (US)     1050 / 1245       
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 41 42 43 44 ··· 50  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames