You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.29 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » The slow death of a great game...
Bottom
Topic Subject:The slow death of a great game...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Neowulf
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 00:00 AM EDT (US)         

Yeah, I know. Dramatic title, but last night I felt really discouraged about the current situation with multiplayer.

A friend and I spent about 15 minutes trying to track down a couple of people to play against. That game was over in about 10 minutes, then we spent *another* 10 minutes trying to find people to play against.

There's noone in the chatrooms, so I can't invite other people to join. So you have to basically just sit and wait...

We tried the auto-matching for teams, but that seems completely borked and never works.

We created a custom game and twiddled our thumbs waiting for people to come along and join.

As great as this game is, I think BHG have really missed their chance to capture the target market. I can't help but feel it's going to be dead in the water within a mater of months.

Truly a lose to gamers everywhere.

AuthorReplies:
Henara
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 06:13 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29       
yeah, true! same situation for me yesterday! we tried over 1 hour (!!!!) to get a game running!!!
but the last 7 days we did not have such problems! the whole multiplayer thing is crap!

as you said, it`s a really great multiplayer game! but i can not understand why there are so many connection issues??? i think this is one reason why there are not that many players online, they are afraid of dropping games and other errors!
but the number of players who are online is rising! i saw 278 last time online! 1 week ago it never reached 200

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 07:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29       
*sob* *sob*
S31Apocalypse
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 07:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29       
I love the rise of games, but marketing does not exist & MP issues are bad.. Chat is stupid the way it is; it will never grow..

I can only beg so many clan mates to try it & there reasons for not sticking with it are true..
Like I have said MOST gamers are casual & wont be botherd with router configs & no chats..

Plug & play with lots of people to BS with is what keep people coming back IMO

If only they had a dedicated servers for hosting, So they wouldnt need the network securitys to be so tight..
Last night at 9:00pm est. there were less than 150 people.. No one to talk to or anything..

I hope it turns around but it wont its been past its peek already I think..

S31|Apocalypse
www.s31clan.com
You Will all Beg for Mercy! In Vain!!
"Regis Mark V"
As a Human I will not Worship any being out there! I can not Lower myself !!
"Apocalypse"

[This message has been edited by S31Apocalypse (edited 07-06-2006 @ 07:47 AM).]

Bridger
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 09:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29       
and how exactly do you intend to get the game to work through a router without opening ports? It's a peer to peer game, none of them tend to work without opening ports.

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Nut
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 09:39 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29       
Eh. Maybe it affects me less because I primarily play 1v1, but I still find Quickmatch games pretty quickly, am still finding new skilled opponents, and don't really care about total player numbers beyond that.

I can, however, say that the connection issues for team games are pretty nasty. It's enough to mostly turn me away from even trying team games; a one in 3 or 4 chance that something will go borked and be miserable isn't worth it, IMO.

I doubt the game will be dead in the water. It sold at least passably and will most likely get an expansion pack, and there will always be new people streaming in from single player until then as well as a hardcore base that sticks around.

Obviously the game isn't a smash hit, which is a shame because it deserves to be, but that doesn't really hurt me personally as long as I keep finding good players to butt heads with (and my buddy list is pretty huge now).

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 07-06-06 10:26 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29       
On Tuesday, BHG will have something rather large to announce to the public... something that will probably draw quite a bit of attention to Rise of Legends.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

[This message has been edited by GreyPawn (edited 07-06-2006 @ 10:27 AM).]

Glassmage
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 10:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29       
Better multiplayer coonection? New patch? Another expansion? Modding Tools? :P

you can't spell 'ignorance' without IGN.

[This message has been edited by Glassmage (edited 07-06-2006 @ 10:31 AM).]

storm legion
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29       
zomg, looks like BHG have something left up their sleeves yet =)

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
Henara
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29       
so it will be on rol.com on tuesday?

i hope its not a better multiplayersystem with a 15 $ fee per month on it ;-)

everything else should be good...

to Glassmage: "ANOTHER expansion"??? is there allready one out...? or am i missunderstanding something here?

a new patch would be nice...

MisterDie
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:28 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29       
sweet now we all got something to look foward to!

I have a problem with wording my ideas straight so if things seem out of order and make no sense, I apologize.
S31Apocalypse
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29       
bridger im not bitching myself about it.. I can handle my NAT.. Im just saying MOST people cant, wont be botherd..

Most people are, i hate to say it use to dedicated server games, witch i know this is not.

I spent alot of time in RON & ROL trying to help people figure it out.. most quit out of fustration esp with no one in any chats at all..

Most people cant even get into the router admin, not to mention work out ports &/or DMZ..

You, I & prob most everyone on these forums understand firewalls, ports & networks..

However most do NOT & for them the game is broken. Most are use to bnet & dont understand..

Im more wishing than bitching.. I just want BHG to get the player numbers it should..
Its sad so so many people keep playing the old games not even giving this very polished game a chance..

:: to GreyPawn GL & hope everything goes smooth.. ::

S31|Apocalypse
www.s31clan.com
You Will all Beg for Mercy! In Vain!!
"Regis Mark V"
As a Human I will not Worship any being out there! I can not Lower myself !!
"Apocalypse"

[This message has been edited by S31Apocalypse (edited 07-06-2006 @ 11:44 AM).]

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:56 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29       
Well....

It could be lots of things
Adverts
More Tourneys
Fixed Multiplayer
Free Money
Your own servers for multiplayer
the list goes on...

KRool
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 12:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29       
A proper Multiplayer system, and I'd be interested. I prefer LAN-gaming over Hamachi this way, though -- at least that works stable, and I know the people I play with, and always have them on voice.

K.Rool,
Master of unnecessary knowledge...
Glassmage
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29       
ANOTHER expansion!!! There, I said it.

j/k Herana, it's totally my fault that I put the word 'another' in the post. Will you ever forgive me?

you can't spell 'ignorance' without IGN.
Neowulf
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 06:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29       

Thanks for the post GreyPawn. Gives us die hards a bit of hope.

Please pass on my thanks to the rest of the guys at BHG.

You guys put together a really solid product, so matter how things go from here.

GRUNT
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29       
Whatever it is BHG is up to, I just sincerely hope it works . RoL is such a great game, but the lack of a community would kill it .

GRUNT'S UBER COMICS OF DOOM! READ!
http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=91&st=recent&f=4,91,0,10]z00t[/url]
RoL Online Nick:
ESO name:[/b][url=http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=z00t&md=ZS_Supremacy]z00t
Bridger
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29       
well they basically did everything posible to help people figure out their routers. They even made it exactly the same port as bnet, so if bnet works RoL works. My router even had bnet setup by default as a port trigger, so i'm sure others have as well.

then they even had a pop up with all the info they needed and links to help files on it. What more could they posibly do? I'm no programmer, but i think if there was a way around it they'd have used it.

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Neowulf
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:54 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29       
I suppose they could have experimented with UPnP, for remote router configuration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

There are a number of apps on the market which already do this.

That said, I'm not so arrogant that I'd believe that the guys at BGH didn't already consider it as an option and avoided it for good reason.

storm legion
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 11:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29       
hmm, i guess it could be some other hosting apart from gamespy for the games...

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 00:09 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29       
because its in this thread its probally something with multi let me guess they will probally either switch hosts or improve gayspy.

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
Timeless_OmO
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 01:06 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29       
I have to say that team games are truly a pain in the rear at times to get going. Lately, it's been better, but sometimes it gets frustrating. I don't really see a problem with getting people to join, it's just that all too often someone in the game gets dropped.

As far as the ports this game uses, well Bnet uses the same ones and they were actually auto programmed into my router settings - I just had to enable it.

Henara
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 02:13 AM EDT (US)     22 / 29       
All that router-stuff! I don`t understand anything about routers. I know how to get to configure it! (put my providersettings in - thats all)

=> i am not used to configure a router for a game...
=> i have not configured anything on my router and i can play very well sometimes - but sometimes not (game crashes etc....)

=> why the f**k do you have to open some ports for this game?? i did never have to for any other game before...
=> demanding users to configure a router for the reason to play a game online should be avoided!!!
i think a the most people (as said before) can not even get to the admin settings on the router => Crap!!!

Timeless_OmO
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 03:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 29       
First of all, most games require certain ports be opened if you are using a router. Second, while it's at first confusing, it's not all that difficult to figure out how to enable ports in your router settings. Just put in some time reading the router manual and if you have the option, call your router manufacturer's 800 number and have them walk you through a few things or email instructions to you. Chances are, the ports you need for this game are already set up in your defaults as "Bnet" and just has to be enabled, as was the case with my DLink router.
BoB_Banglerdesh
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 05:41 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29       
wots a "Bnet" ??????
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-07-06 06:02 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29       
Bnet = Battlenet
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to: