You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion
Moderated by alincarpetman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.123 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » General Discussion » BHG Announcement on Monday - Revealed!
Bottom
Topic Subject:BHG Announcement on Monday - Revealed!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-06-06 04:48 PM EDT (US)         
Heya.

Well, as some of you might know, Greypawn recently posted saying

Quote:

On Tuesday, BHG will have something rather large to announce to the public... something that will probably draw quite a bit of attention to Rise of Legends.
I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

That's in http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,702,0,365, if you were wondering.

Anyway, Greypawn and I were talking on MSN, and he revealed what he called a 'clue' about Tuesday to me. Sounds like a load of gibberish to me. The clue is:
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Now, this may sound like gibberish, but secrets could be contained. I have already theorised that it could refer to a post, or posts, containing an answer to the question but disguised. It could also be something hidden in the code of a site relevant to the game - it could even be hidden in the code or on a fansite's non-forums part. The shape of the K in the font he uses suggests a smiley face maybe - emoticons, or buddy images for IM Clients that never got released maybe? Maybe even in game!?

Another idea is one of a rise of legends movie! Evidence is that Greypawn suddenly asked me if I wanted a movie sized RoL Poster, to which I happened to say yes, though I expect that's irrelevant. Movie Sized. The specific use of this phrase could suggest something. Maybe an ad campaign even, like they do for films?!

THE PLOT THICKENS...

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-10-2006 @ 08:36 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
EasytouchBarBie
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 05:13 AM EDT (US)     76 / 123       
I knew that it would be a tournament but part of me was hoping it would be a discount coupon in a new 7950GX2 nvidia card to buy RoL or even better having a RoL Nvidia Card...

Good luck all for that $10k and then $70k... I can't win one game "for fun" let alone with people who actually know what they are doing... so no point in trying for me haha.

-----------------------------------
EasytouchBarBie

"I ate some bugs, I ate some grass, I used my hand, To wipe my tears." - Nacho Libre

Bridger
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 10:13 AM EDT (US)     77 / 123       
actually there is. During the qualifyers, anyone who didn't finish in the top 8 AND completed all their matches is eligable to receive $100. 5 people (per qualifyer i think) will get this.

So there's definately incentive to play even if you won't win

Check out Tales of Legend, a Rise of Legends Community Show!
Netzahualcoyotl
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 11:49 AM EDT (US)     78 / 123       
well ok so it wasn't an advertising campaign but...hey I did find out there were 98K's on that string!
Bridger
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 12:03 PM EDT (US)     79 / 123       
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Big_Huge_Games_and_Microsoft_Announce_$100,000_Rise_of_Legends_Tournament

Help spread the word! Digg this story! If you don't have a digg account, make one! digg.com is a great news site where the users pick which stories are important.

pwk11
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 01:05 PM EDT (US)     80 / 123       
I think all the KKKK`s are greypawn`s way of anwering "k"{ok} to all the posts to can gamespy. Paul
Kaveman
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 04:34 PM EDT (US)     81 / 123       
Gee whiz, 20 people get money !

Hope 20 people buy the game to replace the 100 that give up playing it.

Bridger
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 04:40 PM EDT (US)     82 / 123       
more than 20...it's 20 per qualifyer, 3 qualifyers, so it might not be the same 20 (i think?)

anyway, more info on the tourny at http://tales.tsncentral.com

Kaveman
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 04:47 PM EDT (US)     83 / 123       
That makes a Big Huge Difference !

So some semi decent inter gets $100 and is thrilled to bits while the big, serious bucks go to some unknown smurf pro.

It's totally risiculous when most threads on most forums concern balance and connectivity, not "ooooooh please lemme slobber over some replay where some dude gets $40K"

It's not soccer or baseball or whatever and kids will not buy the game because of hero worship.

Btw, I do see the logic, i.e RoN was too hard for most online 'kids' so make something simpler, throw money at prizes, generate some heroes to worship and sell posters and dolls ?

wtf !

FelixTheCrazy
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 05:46 PM EDT (US)     84 / 123       
I must say that I'm very 'meh' over this news. I'm not much for the online multiplayer. I'd much rather have seen more for the 'me'. But I guess it might drum up some more support for the game and then maybe get an expansion or 'Art of' book or something to feed the rest of us not wanting to get slaughtered in the tourny...

Good luck to those that play!

Sean
storm legion
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 06:10 PM EDT (US)     85 / 123       
i have the art book of RoL ^^

but this will really suck if the message doesn't get out and they don't advertise it or anything

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
FelixTheCrazy
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 06:16 PM EDT (US)     86 / 123       
^^ thanks for rubbing it in. Your the one that won it or something right? It's not been released to the public yet has it?

Sean
Czin_Minion
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     87 / 123       
Well, although I'll probably loose the first match I will give it a try, anyway its still a long way till september...
One_Dead_Angel
Seraph in Absentia
(id: One_Dead_Villy)
posted 07-09-06 08:34 PM EDT (US)     88 / 123       
Neowulf
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 09:18 PM EDT (US)     89 / 123       

Ummm... yeah. This isn't the news I was hoping for.

This comp is not going to improve the situation for the majority of casual players of the game. I fail to see how drawing a bunch of the pro players into the game (all 10 of them..) is going to make life any eaiser for the rest of us.

I don't have 8 hours a day to practice playing in order to stand a chance with this.

disappointing news...

Timeless_OmO
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 10:01 PM EDT (US)     90 / 123       
Wow, someone pissed in Kaveman's cornflakes it looks like. Well, get over it. RoL isn't RoN. RoN never had a huge following and had its issues at the start - oos, for example. How about imba Mongols with deleting and remaking stables? Maya anyone? Well, BHG is a serious developer and as you can see, RoN was refined to near perfection. I loved RoN, but see nothing wrong with the direction RoL was taken. It's not RoN's sequel. It's a different game. And it has a ton of depth, more so than many RTS games similar to it.

I think a tournament with such a big bounty is great news for RoL. Something like this has the potential to draw quite a crowd. Already, the numbers are close to what DoW had in the beginning. Also, BHG has showed no sign of slowing down their support of the game.

[This message has been edited by Timeless_OmO (edited 07-09-2006 @ 10:04 PM).]

Electrical storm
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 10:17 PM EDT (US)     91 / 123       
yd u ruin the suppense i they still need to drop gamespay no matter wat is don to promote the game

an $100,000 tourney wont help too much rember that game were they had like a millon dollor onlin tourny thing and now no 1 can even rember the name because the game had problems

[This message has been edited by Electrical storm (edited 07-09-2006 @ 10:18 PM).]

Timeless_OmO
Zekeling
posted 07-09-06 10:51 PM EDT (US)     92 / 123       
Agree, BHG must still fix the online connectivity issues. I can only imagine nearly winning a 10k qualifier only to get discoed right before the end. Also, I'd like to see the protorush toned down a bit before any major tournament or we can all guess what race will dominate the competition.
Lybydose
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 03:27 AM EDT (US)     93 / 123       

Quote:

yd u ruin the suppense i they still need to drop gamespay no matter wat is don to promote the game

an $100,000 tourney wont help too much rember that game were they had like a millon dollor onlin tourny thing and now no 1 can even rember the name because the game had problems

Whatever that game was, it wasn't advertised at ALL. I personally have no idea what you're talking about, and I bet I could say the same for mostly anyone here. This, however, was advertised during the WSVG right before the finals, so the audience is already huge before BHG even officially announces it.

Electrical storm
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 07:51 AM EDT (US)     94 / 123       
it waz a fps on xbox im goin to find the name of it now

found it it waz called advent rising

[This message has been edited by Electrical storm (edited 07-10-2006 @ 07:53 AM).]

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 08:01 AM EDT (US)     95 / 123       
Well.

I would say this is a complete waste of money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't BHG make their own battlenet for that money?

I am SERIOUSLY disappointed.

I will prolly still enter it though.

Electrical storm
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 08:02 AM EDT (US)     96 / 123       
100k isnt enough to do that
code255
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 08:47 AM EDT (US)     97 / 123       
Wow... free money for a handful of hardcore players...

I'm also not impressed.

[This message has been edited by code255 (edited 07-10-2006 @ 08:48 AM).]

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 08:58 AM EDT (US)     98 / 123       
Yeah. Found an answer to that actually just now.
Henara
Zekeling
posted 07-10-06 09:49 AM EDT (US)     99 / 123       
oh - what a surprise... ;-(

a little money for a littel rol freak - superb!
i was more waiting for something improving the multiplayer! or perhaps a good patch...

i don`t care about a tournament...

GreyPawn
Hero
posted 07-10-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     100 / 123       

Quote:

So there's definately incentive to play even if you won't win

Even moreso than we've let on. Just by entering and participating you will have a chance to win some cold, hard cash. Not only that, but we'll also be giving away ATI x1900 video cards along with other really hot hardware.

Quote:

Gee whiz, 20 people get money !

Quite a few more than that, as mentioned above.

Quote:

This comp is not going to improve the situation for the majority of casual players of the game. I fail to see how drawing a bunch of the pro players into the game (all 10 of them..) is going to make life any eaiser for the rest of us.

For many games, especially in the RTS genre, an event of this magnitude has a desired "ripple effect" throughout the community. As the foundation of hardcore gamers grows in a game, so too does the base of casual gamers through word-of-mouth and general interest as generated by those hardcore folks. The end result is a larger, more robust community able to support more in the way of events, player-driven content like scenarios and maps, and a broader pool of competition in online play.

Quote:

I think a tournament with such a big bounty is great news for RoL. Something like this has the potential to draw quite a crowd. Already, the numbers are close to what DoW had in the beginning. Also, BHG has showed no sign of slowing down their support of the game.

We don't intend to slow support of the game, and we're continually and aggressively working to resolve and patch any outstanding issues that might be present. In the near future you'll be seeing more maps, more fixes, and more balance adjustments.

Quote:

I would say this is a complete waste of money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't BHG make their own battlenet for that money?

Definitely not. A project on the scale of Blizzard's Battle.net would take years of development time and millions of dollars to complete.

Quote:

i was more waiting for something improving the multiplayer! or perhaps a good patch...

Both are certainly on their way!

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames