You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by alincarpetman, Aurilux

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.128 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-25-06 10:59 PM EDT (US)         

Please note the campaign has moved to a dedicated site, to allow people not registered on these forums to sign it.

The Campaign for Rise of Legends Modding Capability (or CRLM for short) has one aim: to get BHG to allow us to really modify Rise of Legends by access to at least the unitgraphics.xml file - giving us the ability to create giant tornadoes, groups of big and small and whatever zeke's and more. We could use it to make units and buildings not in the final game, to make units whatever size we want, and hopefulyl to change the actual look of the units themselves!

This is the primary goal, although in future based upon the success of this Campaign and other factors we may campaign for some sort of multiplayer modding ability.

Here's the goals in brief...
Stage 1
Requesting the unitgraphics.xml file at least, and hopefulyl all the XML Files editable in the first demo.
For technical people, here is a list of the main wanted files: building_graphics.xml, gamecamera.xml, unit_graphics.xml, ammo.xml, and any other files needed for skin and model editing (maybe later). That is a quick list, and I may add a FEW files to it over the coming days/hours. Preferably all the files though.

Stage 2
If not, a model exporter (and BHG did say if there was enough demand we might get one) and possibly a skin exporter too if it's not possible with just unitgraphics.xml/the files we get. Also requesting a multiplayer mod feature if easily possible.

Big Huge Games has decided to not spend time increasing moddability of the game, and instead chosen to focus on Multiplayer. A Good Choice you say? Well look at the Rise of Nations Heaven Download Section, with it's 308 files, of which a lot were already made by this amount of time after game release.

Yet this game has a pitiful 13 Mods, and as it happens there is only 3 or 4 for the Full Game - most others enable the Cuotl in the Demo, as it happens. A rather big difference, bearing in mind as well as non-demo mods are by me! You saw how popular RoN was, so why not repeat that for RoL?!

So, make a difference, and post here supporting this Campaign, as we compile a petition of names for modding - if enough people sign, they'll have to listen! If you have any questions or arguments, please post them as well.

Attached View of Agamemnus: Let's not forget that the current capability that we have right now is grossly under-documented and some of the documented script functions don't even work. There should be more documentation on the script functions we can have and on how to compile stuff before all the extra moddability, I think.

Attached View of tactickiller: they should also give us a exporter for a free model program so we dont have the same thing that happened to ron (the program costed about 600$).

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 09-02-2006 @ 06:26 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
nemesis000
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 04:27 PM EDT (US)     26 / 128       
ill give it a try.
Czin_Minion
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 05:42 PM EDT (US)     27 / 128       
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 06:15 PM EDT (US)     28 / 128       
Well, we now have 20 people!

Also, Greypawn has forwarded this to the developement team, so success MAY be close already! Keep signing though, as it may get discarded in favour of what they are doing right now!

In other news, I will be absent tomorrow so the title post will probably not be updated. It is accurate to this post, so just count the number after this post.

Game Replays has only 1 member so far who cares, whereas we have at least 19 here. Quite a difference, eh?

ChaosMaster130
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 07:13 PM EDT (US)     29 / 128       
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Elder Glass Dragon+Glass fury+Your army=YOU PWNZRD!1!!1
tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 07:36 PM EDT (US)     30 / 128       
Come on people even if your not a modder this will make it so people can make some pretty cool mods. So sign the hell up lol. (I really want the model program exporter and for it to be from a free model program if not that then atleast something for skin modding)

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
El_Capitan_
Hero
posted 07-26-06 10:21 PM EDT (US)     31 / 128       
I don't think the number of names (as it won't be very high) matter as much as the number of reasons why it would be beneficial (as it can be very high). Still... I'll be your Huckleberry.
tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 11:10 PM EDT (US)     32 / 128       
ok everyone think of reasons why it would be a good reason to increase moddablity lol. also sign up.

lets see.

It will attact more people and make it so people play it more and will be more likely to buy expansion pack.

it will make your customers happy.

someone might make something good enough that you will include it in your game.

Ill think of more later lol

for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
Xan Kriegor
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     33 / 128       
write my nick in the list, I'm in
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 11:22 PM EDT (US)     34 / 128       
The idea behind this is simple: BHG cannot ignore large numbers of players wanting more moddability.

The reasons...

- Longer Game Life from more active community (modders coming to RoL, people doing mods people have to download etc - like the rebirth of RoN going on right now).
- Me not moaning is a very good reason. I've recently started to moan about this as some of you are likely to have noticed.
- It's not really that hard, is it!?
- If you're gonna make a cool AI, can't you actually give us the ability to make mods to make it cooler?!

That's what I thought up in 1 min 30 seconds or so.

El_Capitan_: I'm guessing that I'll be your Huckeberry means yes based upon some research I quickly did. If not, please tell me and I'll remove you.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-26-2006 @ 11:25 PM).]

El_Capitan_
Hero
posted 07-26-06 11:30 PM EDT (US)     35 / 128       
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 11:31 PM EDT (US)     36 / 128       
Pardon?

And a more extreme version

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-27-2006 @ 00:43 AM).]

Czin_Minion
Zekeling
posted 07-26-06 11:55 PM EDT (US)     37 / 128       
Modding capability let games live many many years, good examples are AoW2's heaven or the the elder scrools game before oblivion...
Alvinz92
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 06:20 AM EDT (US)     38 / 128       
CAn i be in twice?
Madpeon_114
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 06:34 AM EDT (US)     39 / 128       
Yes
mike_the_mad
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 06:41 AM EDT (US)     40 / 128       
Modding Capability = Very Yes

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
~Fear Me Mortals~
[-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
Leviathan 4
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 11:49 AM EDT (US)     41 / 128       
yes
NaturalViolence
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 12:02 PM EDT (US)     42 / 128       
Although I'm for this, you must understand this from there point of view evolved, there just making sure that nobody cheats during the tournament, thats also why all saved games are also saved with a .mpd file now, so that they can monitor the games more easily.
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 12:21 PM EDT (US)     43 / 128       
I am not on about multiplayer integrity. I am on about modding capability for single palyer right now, though hopefully some sort of Modding Online feature can be added in future (unlikely).
tactickiller
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 12:41 PM EDT (US)     44 / 128       
well online moding unless you wana change skins or models is kinda out of the question. maybe the only things you will be able to add are maps. the only thing that has kept RON alive are the mods and maps but mostly the mods. I use to play a game and only quit like 3-4 months ago the game was called tachyon the fringe. It was made in 1999 and i started playing in 2000. really one of the reasons i played for so long was because i had a crappy computer and i also really really liked the community and the mods. Other people mostly played because of the last two. The community and the mods go together most of the community downloads the mods and they stay because its fun because of the mods. look at the civilization games. It does have crappy game play that does hurt it but the thing that hurts it more is because its really hard to mod. meaning it has a really small community.

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-27-06 02:41 PM EDT (US)     45 / 128       
Bad News.

Quote:

It doesn't look like we will be releasing anything new as far as increased moddability in the near future. That doesn't preclude everything though, and I'm still pushing in other areas.

Quoted from a conversation I just had with Greypawn.

Quote:

I have a meeting with the mapmakers and designers later on next week, and maybe they'll have better news for me about modding.

So it looks like we do need to push this issue! Keep posting everyone.

On another note, I'm still trying to hack it to work. I'll keep you up to date.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-27-2006 @ 03:27 PM).]

TheBladeRoden
Zekeling
posted 07-29-06 04:22 AM EDT (US)     46 / 128       
Yeah, I pretty much had to toss away my idea for an East Asia-themed tribe. So here I post.
Doggiedoodle
Zekeling
posted 07-29-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     47 / 128       
Yes and I'd also like a system to switch and apply mods from in game like the one in Impossible Creatures.

This is a forged signature.

A wise Camasp once said, "When in doubt, assasinate everyone."

dEVILdog666
Zekeling
posted 07-29-06 07:27 PM EDT (US)     48 / 128       
Im in. Looks awesome!

Edit: Omg! Someone promote Evolved to the highest rank on the staff! The jugger mod is awesome! He has also made many other contributions (though some are wierd eg: kung-fu zeke) showing that he is a true RoL fan. Also a question to Evolved: Where did u get the jugger mod?

********(___)********
_________/> <\_________
Don't mess\ _ /with the dog.
__The Devil\_/lies within.__
___________V___________

[This message has been edited by Devildog666 (edited 07-29-2006 @ 08:47 PM).]

NaturalViolence
Zekeling
posted 07-29-06 08:13 PM EDT (US)     49 / 128       
evolved if you want more people to sign this petition I suggest you post this under news (just my opinion though, you don't have to if you don't want to)
marinemerchant
Zekeling
posted 07-30-06 02:12 AM EDT (US)     50 / 128       
give us mods or sawu will eat your children and fart them on you
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames