You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario and Map Creation
Moderated by alincarpetman, Aurilux

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Scenario and Map Creation » Terrain Image file?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Terrain Image file?
Saldrin
Zekeling
posted 07-16-06 07:08 PM EDT (US)         
I am assuming terrain image files are heightmaps?

If so, anyone have any info on them? Such as format, what colors are what elevation?

Thanks in advance.

AuthorReplies:
Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-16-06 07:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Erm....

Not really. Just read the guides on scenario design by greypawn in the download center, on of them should tell you and give you examples.

Wrong Forum, so I've moved it.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-16-2006 @ 07:56 PM).]

Saldrin
Zekeling
posted 07-16-06 09:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Eh, OK....

Um, but I'm not working on a scenerio, I was tinkering with a multiplayer map.

So..you guys are lumping general mapping in with scenerio designs?

Is it possible to pregenerate heightmaps or terrain in photoshop?

[This message has been edited by Saldrin (edited 07-16-2006 @ 09:54 PM).]

Evolved
Zekeling
posted 07-16-06 10:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Game Modifications = Modding
Scenario Editor = Scenario Design

Obviously...

Anyway, yeah, you can make one. Follow the instructions in those files I said, and layer up a few partially transparent black layers.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-16-2006 @ 10:10 PM).]

cycore
Zekeling
posted 07-17-06 03:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
u can use TGA files as heightmaps. the guide says it has to be 24bit somewhere, but i think it worked with a standard 8bit greyscale heightmap, too.
Saldrin
Zekeling
posted 07-17-06 09:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Thank you Cycore.

Incase anyone else was wondering, Quote from the article:

"You can actually take any image, save it as a Targa file, and in the New Map screen where it says “Init Terrain from Image File” load up that image file to make a map’s terrain based off of that image. This takes the values of your image and makes heights based off of them. Neutral grey is sea level, black is your lowest level and white is your highest. This is an EXTREMELY fast way to lay in the basic terrain of a map. Inevitably, you’ll have to do some work to it after loading to make sure it all works, but in the end this usually will save you a large amount of time.
Max Height will dictate how much of a height difference there is between black and white, and good values for this are between 5000 and 10000."

Evolved, no... its not obvious. I've been mapping for games for quite a long time now, and those kind of questions have always gone in the modification forums. Scenerios are usually associated with single player, or in RTS games, campaign style creations that require extra work and usually have their own forums (scripting, campaign maps...).

Grant it, I'm new (with the account) to this RoL site, so any other question I have with mapping I will ask in this forum (not that there are a lot of people asking questions) as you have directed me, but eventually its going to get confusing the way the forum descriptions are worded.

Just a little site feedback for you.

BHG_LeGrand
Hero
posted 07-18-06 12:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
The file needs to be TGA format and cannot be grayscale.
I think it also needs to be 32 bit, but not sure.

good luck

Saldrin
Zekeling
posted 08-25-06 09:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
One more question about this feature. Is there a way to export terrain from the editor back into an image file?

I'm trying to make some landmarks in the editor, export them to TGA and open them up in photoshop to make the changes. I'm not seeing any way to do this.

Or is there a console command to refresh the terrain file as I make changes without having to restart the editor.

Any help is appreciated.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames