We still need more programmers and modders to get this project going and get input from the players on what they would like to see changed.
It is a long-term project that will take some time to accomplish. Please post below or email me if you can help.
If you are unable to help, you can share a link to this forum topic anywhere relevant on the internet.*
While there is no official news yet if Rise of Legends will or will not get a Steam Extended Edition, the game needs some patch work done.
If there will be no Steam EE, which some people say is possible, then the next best way to update the game is for programmers and modders to work on a user patch project, similar to what was done for
Please read about those two user patches to get an idea about this type of project, which may be a long-term project that requires a lot of community feedback and testing.
It's possible if players of the game work on a user patch project then Steam may release the game in the future, which is what happened with the AOE2 player-made
This type of project is ideal for serious players and modders of the game, whether you are a beginner programmer and are looking to learn debugging and programming via such a project, or experienced programmers and modders looking for a challenge or some routine work to keep your mind active.
We have several free copies of the DVD version of the game specially available to be mailed to any interested programmers and modders who are serious about working on the game but don't have a copy yet. Contact alincarpetman via posting below or email in my profile if you are interested.
Here are the people who have worked on ROL projects so far:
Ryder - creator of ROL BIG Archiver
Motter - creator of 3 mods, bug fixer
Modder00 - bug fixer
Alincarpetman - tester, game info and news organizer
More names will be added as the news is spread.
I (alincarpetman) will be testing any work (such as Modder00's recent crash fix patch) and posting updates in this thread as new work is completed.
- Bug fixes (see the game code itself, Motter's and Alincarpetman's lists ^above^)
- Official Patch change problems (see player notes
- Sound/music overlap glitch (during the campaign sometimes game music keeps playing while cutscenes with voiceovers start and both play together)
- Modder00's "Game crash after 1 1/2 hour" fix (see link ^above^)
- "Un-hardcode" as many hardcoded limits as possible (see other rts games patches:
- Scenario editor bug fixes (see the list
- Scenario editor "stay open/no auto-closing" option (after done testing a map, have the editor load back to the map instead of auto-closing the test game and having the user reload the editor all over again)
- Enable water terrain (there are
- Enable all biome tilesets on one map (an attempt was made to use a xml/text editor and in-scenario options to copy and paste all biomes into one file but it didn't work)
- Wider plane size for maps (current largest size is 128 (maximum plane width) by 40,000 (maximum plane height), there's too much height)
- Add new features and/or utilities (see other rts game enhanced scenario editors as a reference:
- Random map generator (was never included in the game, and RON's map gen isn't that great when compared to AOE2, AOM and other games)
- More game setup options (see
- Mod manager/switcher (see other rts game mod managers as a reference:
- Window mode (currently there is fullscreen game mode only)
- More zoom out/camera modes (zoom out is limited and view feels cramped at times)
- More resolution support (is this needed? info on resolutions can be found
- Rough edges need smoother graphics (the anti-aliasing option doesn't fix it all)
- Enable skybox/sky backgrounds but also keep the old single solid sky color native to each biome map (you can find
- Enable water terrain (there are
- More player colors (currently limited to 8)
- More nation selection in menu (currently limited to 16)
- Population limit increase and/or population range options (currently limited to 300 max)
- Balance the Vinci/Alin/Cuotl ai (some players have commented on how they think nations are unbalanced)
- What are the issues with multiplayer?
This list is incomplete. If you can look through the game and find any bugs, problems, feature requests, info, etc please post below and this list will be updated.
If you are interested in this project, please email me alincarpetman(at)heavengames(dot)com or post below:
||| Rise of Legends is open for modding! Click here ||| Download ROL mods & All Modding Guides & Tools Pack here ||| Rise of Legends modding at Moddb.com |||
||| Rise of Legends Info Encyclopedia ||| Rise of Nations 2 Total Conversion Mod project for ROL ||| Wololo Thru the Ages 1-2-3-AOM-ETC |||
[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 03-21-2021 @ 02:44 PM).]